Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dr. Beckmann's? Alternative to Shout Colour Catchers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dr-beckmanns-alternative-shout-colour-catchers-t185615.html)

QuiltE 04-10-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5131341)
I think that initially they did not have French and English on the packaging. Maybe the company doesn't want the extra expense of dual packaging? I just have my son pick up some color catchers when he travels to the U.S.

As is often the case for products that we can't get here. I still had the old CC box and just checked it ... yes, it had been translated to French. So that's hardly their reason, as they'd already gone to that expense.

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5131304)
When I read the Dr. B box it stated you had to wash things many times (maybe 6???) before using the product. We didn't buy it. I would like to hear from someone who has used the product according to the box instructions to see if it is worth the effort.
I'm wondering what is in the colour catcher that it is no longer available here.

You had me ... about the multiple washings. I checked my box, and there's no reference like that . I've been using them when pre-washing fabrics. As I had been with the Colour Catchers, I was getting surprises as to colours that left themselves behind!! If I notice a problem, I have been treating with Retayne to stabilize. And then do another check. And keep doing so, til I feel "safe".

What store(s) did you find them in, here in Canada?

Originally Posted by mhansen6 (Post 5131217)
They still sell Color Catchers at my local Albertsons.

As I mentioned earlier, it is Canada where they are not available, any longer ... and why I am searching out an alternative.

Originally Posted by judylg (Post 5131251)
I see Dr Beckmans for stain removal, now will have to catch the color catchers by Dr B. The Dr B products are sold here in Wall Mart. Thanks for jogging my memory to even look for these!

Are you USA or Canada? Just wondering, as I'd like to know which stores they are in, here in Canada.

kristakz 04-10-2012 07:46 PM

I had the same problem (can't get Shout colour catchers here) and just found Dr. Beckman's the other day at my grocery store (Metro, in Ottawa). I tried the colour collector, and unfortunately it disappeared in the wash. Seriously - I can't find it anywhere, so I suspect it washed down the drain, which does not thrill me. I'll try again, with another load and see what happens.
The instructions said that heavily dyed fabrics should be washed twice before using the colour catcher, because they'd overwhelm the product. But if it's not really heavy dye, then no special treatment was needed.

I also tried the bleed remover. Even though my quilt had been through the washer - and dryer - twice, it did take more of the bleed out. So I was quite happy with that. I'll be keeping a couple of those on hand for future disasters.

QuiltE 04-10-2012 07:57 PM

Haven't seen them in Metro yet ... keep checking!
Also, heard they were at Sobeys ... but haven't seen them there.
Did get mine at Longo's ... not on my normal travel route!

Where oh where did it say that? I must be blind!

As for the disappearing trick ... I had thought I had put it in a couple of washes ... then convinced myself that I'd only "thought" I'd done so. Now you have me worried .... don't want my washer to "choke" on it either. YIKES!

kristakz 04-11-2012 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5132024)
As for the disappearing trick ... I had thought I had put it in a couple of washes ... then convinced myself that I'd only "thought" I'd done so. Now you have me worried .... don't want my washer to "choke" on it either. YIKES!

Now I'm worried - I thought it was a one time disappearance. Maybe next time I'll pin it to something larger. They are awfully small and light.

QuiltE 04-11-2012 07:09 AM

So now we're worried together!
I was thinking the same last night ... pinning it to something.
I had convinced myself that I'd only "thought" I'd put it in there ... til you mentioned the same.
They are a lot lighter than the Shout Colour Catchers.

thimblebug6000 04-11-2012 08:27 AM

QuiltE, I can't remember whether it was Save On Foods or London Drugs here in B.C.

MacThayer 04-11-2012 08:56 AM

Woolite makes a product called "Dye Magnet", and I found some at my local Target Store. Seems to work just like a Color Catcher. Perhaps you'll have more luck finding that. Or if not, both Woolite Dye Magnet and Shout Colors Catchers can be ordered from (who else?) Amazon.com.

QuiltE 04-11-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer (Post 5133024)
Woolite makes a product called "Dye Magnet", and I found some at my local Target Store. Seems to work just like a Color Catcher. Perhaps you'll have more luck finding that. Or if not, both Woolite Dye Magnet and Shout Colors Catchers can be ordered from (who else?) Amazon.com.

Woolite is in Canada, and I'll keep my eye open for Dye Magnet but I'm sure that it is not in Canada, or I would have seen it as I have been checking every shelf in every store for first Colour Catchers (no need to do so now!) ............. and now Dr. Beckmann!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5132974)
QuiltE, I can't remember whether it was Save On Foods or London Drugs here in B.C.

Both stores we don't have here in Ontario!

OzarksGma 04-11-2012 03:08 PM

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to use the color catchers and wash something 3 or 4 times and still have color coming out after that many washings. Use the Retayne, wash in hot water one time and be done with it. Then you can do future washings without worry.

QuiltE 04-11-2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by OzarksGma (Post 5133754)
For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to use the color catchers and wash something 3 or 4 times and still have color coming out after that many washings. Use the Retayne, wash in hot water one time and be done with it. Then you can do future washings without worry.

I see it as a "Quality Control" .... Retayne is not foolproof. Believe me, I know, as I have treated with such ... and still had it bleed out.

I'd sooner know before I sew with it.