Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drafting complex blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drafting-complex-blocks-t206619.html)

lainealex 11-21-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 5672274)
Do you have access to a photocopy machine? Then you could keep enlarging the book pictures so you can see them clearly. Then you could recreate the image on a graph paper.

Does this work? Have people tried this? I guess I discounted this method because if it were that simple the books would tell us to use this method? But maybe it works, I just haven't heard the authors of the books mentioning it so I figured the images would distort as you enlarge?

DogHouseMom 11-21-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by lainealex (Post 5672322)
Does this work? Have people tried this? I guess I discounted this method because if it were that simple the books would tell us to use this method? But maybe it works, I just haven't heard the authors of the books mentioning it so I figured the images would distort as you enlarge?

Yes ... enlarging on a photocopier does work. You may have to fiddle with the numbers to get the exact size ... 129% increase vs 130% increase for example.

lainealex 11-21-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5672390)
Yes ... enlarging on a photocopier does work. You may have to fiddle with the numbers to get the exact size ... 129% increase vs 130% increase for example.

Wow, that totally worked! I got it to come out to a twelve inch block size. I wonder why the first four quilting instructors didn't know about this method...so simple.

Thank you all very much.

Now I just have to sew it:)

Lainey

kat70113 11-21-2012 11:36 PM

This book might help you.

Drafting and Design Simplified (Quilting Library)Sarah Sacks Dun http://www.amazon.com/Drafting-Desig.../dp/1579545033

lainealex 11-22-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by kat70113 (Post 5672835)
This book might help you.

Drafting and Design Simplified (Quilting Library)Sarah Sacks Dun http://www.amazon.com/Drafting-Desig.../dp/1579545033

Thanks, I will get this book right away.

Now here is something interesting:

I used my scanner on my printer and enlarged the block/grid in the Jinny Beyer book until I got a twelve inch block, as I mentioned above. However, now I am measuring all of the pieces in the block - the central octagon, the three stars radiating out from the octagon, etc - and there are fairly significant size discrepancies between the pieces that should be the same sizes and measurements. This is the same thing that happened to me when I drafted it from scratch. So for example, the central octagon has lines that should all be exactly the same length, but instead they are all varying in length by about 1/8 inch! And this continues in the measurements throughout the block.

What does this mean? Does it mean that I should just make a template based on an average of all these lengths? Or does it mean I should be working with a computer draft design?

I am just worried that if I make up templates and one is too large or small by 1/8 inch I will be in major trouble after a few seams. But the only way to know the correct sizes of the pieces is to draft it, and now I have done that two ways (doing it from scratch and blowing up the JB grid) and I'm getting all this irregularity.

Thank you for any insights...

Lainey

Krisb 11-22-2012 09:18 AM

One thing that is terrifically annoying is kerf. At least that's what I call it. Even using a 3 mm pencil, the line has width, like the kerf from a saw cut. It can add up. Is there some way that you can figure to paper piece it? It might be easier.

lainealex 11-22-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5673390)
One thing that is terrifically annoying is kerf. At least that's what I call it. Even using a 3 mm pencil, the line has width, like the kerf from a saw cut. It can add up. Is there some way that you can figure to paper piece it? It might be easier.

Kerf is a definite issue and especially when I blew up the JB grid the draft lines are very thick now. But no, the instructors I have spoken to say I do best to machine or hand piece this, as do the women at the JB studio. I guess it can't be paper pieced easily.

But it's more than kerf because even when I draft with a mechanical pencil, very thin lines, I am still having lots of irregularities.

Sheepshed 11-22-2012 11:47 AM

I think you will have to draw the original octagon accurately, that could be the root of all your problems. Also, there are about-or-at-least 50 pages of block-drafting instructions in her )Jinny Beyer) .. latest book... Maybe draw on the computer in a drawing program if you are finding out that no matter what drafting tools you are using, you cant get the octagon right to start with......

kristakz 11-22-2012 11:49 AM

You originally said you had 1/32 or 1/16th discrepancies when you drew it. There is no way a difference that small is going to show when you piece it, in my opinion. I'd move ahead with one of those drafts. The 1/8" is more likely to be an issue.

LyndaOH 11-22-2012 12:36 PM

If you let me know which block it is (is it from her Encyclopedia of blocks?) I can create it for you in EQ.