Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dresden plate? machine applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dresden-plate-machine-applique-t132471.html)

wannaquilt1 06-22-2011 11:27 PM

I know you are supposed to hand applique the top of the dresden plate but is it ok to machine applique it also? I just don't know if i'll ever make it if it needs to be hand appliqued.

Katy 06-22-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I know you are supposed to hand applique the top of the dresden plate but is it ok to machine applique it also? I just don't know if i'll ever make it if it needs to be hand appliqued.

It is your quilt so You get to make the rules dear.

katvert 06-22-2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1

Thanks for asking..... I have wondered this also. I love them, but have steered away from them because I have arthritis in my hands and can only to small amounts of hand work at a time.

quilterella 06-22-2011 11:57 PM

I only machine applique. I have a hard time getting handstitching to look even, so, I always machine applique my dresen plates. Check out the Dresden Plates under The Gallery of Quilts in the Picture section. They are done both ways and all of them are beautiful.

Tussymussy 06-23-2011 01:21 AM

As everyone says, it is your quilt your method. I have made one in the past using machine blanket stitch and it looked very rustic and very fabulous.

The stitch you use depends on the look you want and the fabrics you are using. I suggest you do some test peices with any odd blades you have left overso that you can find the look you like for YOUR quilt.

blueangel 06-23-2011 01:41 AM

I have machine appliqued mine and it looked fine.

fidgety 06-23-2011 01:50 AM

I machine appliqued mine and they look fine..

leatheflea 06-23-2011 02:22 AM

I just looked it up in the Quilters Rule book. And its says in Chapter 3and 7/8, page 2 1/2, paragraph 4.5, that all applique should be hand stitched....it goes on with more detail about stitches and such. Its my duty as a law abiding quilter to turn you in to the Quilt Police, of course I could be bribed with a little chocolate and lets say 2 fat quarters....?

Shelbie 06-23-2011 02:35 AM

I have just completed the last of my ancient (35 years) Dresdan plate blocks and I machine appliqued all of the remaining ones. I had hand appliqued the first two blocks, cut out the rest and let them sit in a shoe box since I took my first quilt class the first winter after I was married. My guild's challenge was to finish your oldest P.I.G. and although the quilt isn't done yet the blocks are and they look great!!!! My good quilting friend who loves hand applique thought machine appliquing them was the only solution for me if I ever wanted to get these blocks done.

alikat110 06-23-2011 02:59 AM

I am machine appliquing mine!!!