Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dresden plate question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dresden-plate-question-t150740.html)

paulswalia 09-05-2011 06:28 PM

Does the dresden plate design have pointed edges or round ones? I have inherited about 4 dozen hand stitched pointed edge "plates" that just need centers. I am thinking a yo-yo center will be cute. I am not the best at applique and am thinking of rounding the edges of these plates which will be easier for me. Is it still a dresden plate?

sarahrachel 09-05-2011 06:32 PM

yes it's still a dresden plate, but I've been told the rounded corners are harder than the pointed ones though I've always liked the round ones better. And I think yo yo's would work fine

Glassquilt 09-05-2011 06:33 PM

Both. Your choice.

wuv2quilt 09-05-2011 06:33 PM

Yes...dresden can have round, pointed, a combo of both, and I've seen some that the "petals" are all the same length and flat around the edge.

QM 09-05-2011 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
Yes...dresden can have round, pointed, a combo of both, and I've seen some that the "petals" are all the same length and flat around the edge.

Yes, they can be rounded or pointy. I'm good at applique, but I now prefer the pointy ones. I fold the points under and top stitch them right at the edge. If the block is an even circle, no scollops, it's called Wheel of Fortune. (there are 2 or 3 different versions of that.

My latest scrappy block is scraps sewn together, trimmed to my pattern, a prairie point added and a double sided pentagon top stitched in to the center. I top stitched the block in place with the prairie points flapping loose. this one is the photo I had on hand. It's not sewn down yet.

So you can see, it's another case of your quilt, your choice.

My modified Dresden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252243[/ATTACH]

amandasgramma 09-05-2011 06:47 PM

If you don't feel comfortable appliqueing, then use your sewing machine and sew the plates onto squares of fabric --- sewing as close to the edge as you can get. If your plates already have pointed ends then I wouldn't cut to make them rounded....you'll lose so much in size !!!

Yes, the yo-yos in the center is cute.

blueangel 09-05-2011 06:50 PM

Ditto

scraphq 09-05-2011 06:50 PM

I really like your choice, very pretty and innovative design.

scraphq 09-05-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by QM

Yes, they can be rounded or pointy. I'm good at applique, but I now prefer the pointy ones. I fold the points under and top stitch them right at the edge. If the block is an even circle, no scollops, it's called Wheel of Fortune. (there are 2 or 3 different versions of that.

My latest scrappy block is scraps sewn together, trimmed to my pattern, a prairie point added and a double sided pentagon top stitched in to the center. I top stitched the block in place with the prairie points flapping loose. this one is the photo I had on hand. It's not sewn down yet.

scraphq 09-05-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by QM