Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dry fabric in pillowcase????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dry-fabric-pillowcase-t30904.html)

siss 12-05-2009 06:54 AM

i read on here to wash fabric inside a pillowcase to help keep it from ravelling. i am in the process of doing this now.

i don't remember reading if you are to take it out of the pillowcase when putting in the dryer.

dumb question, i know.

i was thinking if you didn't it would take a long time to dry, but on the other hand i don't think it would tangle as bad.

could anyone tell me what they do, and thank you in advance.

any help from you experts would be much appreciated.

Barb_MO 12-05-2009 06:57 AM

You might hang it to dry.

kathy 12-05-2009 08:47 AM

I would leave it in the pillowcase if it's small pieces

beachlady 12-05-2009 09:37 AM

I hope more people comment on this - I always pre-wash and FQ's take a beating. Never thought about using a pillowcase. I wonder if a lingerie bag would work. ???

amma 12-05-2009 01:51 PM

I would wash small pieces by hand and just spin them dry in the washer. If you dry larger pieces in a pillow case, they are going to come out very wrinkled. For me, not a problem as I starch all of my fabric.

siss 12-05-2009 02:32 PM

thank you everyone for your replies to by question.
just thought i would let you know what i did.
i put my fabric in a zippered pillow protecter case.
in one there was a 5m., 1.5m., and 1m. pieces. in the other there was 1m. and 2m. pieces.
this was 2 seperate loads.
the fabric did not tangle and did not ravel very much, although i did snip a small triangle off of each corner.
i started drying them still in the case, but then took them out to finish drying. the 5m. piece did tangle a bit, but not too bad.
i dried them to the perma-press setting.
i then ironed them dry.
i know i will wash future fabric this way.
ps. next time i will rotary cut to straighten and then snip off the small triangle.
hope this helps others.

Ninnie 12-05-2009 03:42 PM

I spin dry mine, and then iron it while it is damp.

Shemjo 12-05-2009 04:07 PM

Thanks for the information! I usually wash yardage and it does tangle!

siss 12-05-2009 04:43 PM

hope you try the pillow protecter case. i was very pleased.

bearisgray 12-06-2009 05:22 AM

I overcast the raw edges before washing - even the fat quarters.

I use either a narrow longish zig-zag - or the longest narrowest serger stitch to overcast the edges.

About the most fabric I lose is about an 1/8 of an inch on each edge.

I just toss the pieces in the dryer. No tangles. Really long pieces tend to wad up or ball up and I check every so often and unwad it and then put the fabric back in the dryer. The fabric is more apt to wrinkle if the dryer is overloaded.

Narrow pieces - 1/4 yard or less - seem prone to tangling - it might be good to put them in a case before putting them in the dryer.

Tiny pieces I just hand wash and air dry - I don't (usually) overcast them - and put them either on a towel or on those meshy sweater drying things. They could be put in a bag and spun dry and then dried in the dryer. Might have some fraying, tho.