Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Duvet insert instead of quilting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/duvet-insert-instead-quilting-t48564.html)

sbeddingfield 06-06-2010 06:50 AM

Has anyone used a duvet insert instead of quilting? I noticed they were on sale at JoAnns and thought - hmmm - could this work or am I just being lazy??
Thanks,
Scherrie

Scissor Queen 06-06-2010 07:17 AM

One of my friends did just that for her hubby. She sewed the backing and top together and then layered them with the duvet and stitched them together around the edge and then turned it right side out. She said that part was a lot like gutting a whale. LOL, anyway it turned out really cool. She was going to add some ties to the center to keep the duvet from shifting around but I don't suppose you would absolutely have to do that.

craftybear 06-06-2010 10:00 AM

sounds like a cool idea

littlehud 06-06-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
One of my friends did just that for her hubby. She sewed the backing and top together and then layered them with the duvet and stitched them together around the edge and then turned it right side out. She said that part was a lot like gutting a whale. LOL, anyway it turned out really cool. She was going to add some ties to the center to keep the duvet from shifting around but I don't suppose you would absolutely have to do that.

Do you have a pic. It sounds really cool and I would love to see it.

Scissor Queen 06-06-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Do you have a pic. It sounds really cool and I would love to see it.

It wasn't mine and I didn't have my camera with me at the time. We don't live very close together either.

sbeddingfield 06-06-2010 05:42 PM

I'd like to see a pic too. I didn't know if it had been done - I just noticed that duvet insides are on sale at JoAnns.
Please show us a pic if possible.
Thanks,
Scherrie

kat112000 06-06-2010 05:46 PM

I made my son a duvet cover just made the front as usual and then sewed the back on around the edges and added a zipper at the bottom and inserted the duvet.

sewcrafty 06-07-2010 04:40 AM

Use can also use Velcro to close up the end.

Favorite Fabrics 06-07-2010 05:23 AM

If the duvet cover is patchwork, as most quilts... since the cover will be "loose" and will shift around (unlike most quilts)... would you have to worry that the seams will fray on the inside?

Would a duvet cover be better pieced using simple patterns where you could serge or zigzag the seam allowances?