Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Easy Cone Thread Holder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/easy-cone-thread-holder-t201611.html)

Scissor Queen 09-26-2012 06:30 PM

The weight of that cone may change your thread tension since it's heavy and will not spin easy. A super easy way to use a cone is to tape a safety pin with the round part up, set the cone beside the machine and run the thread thru the safety pin and then thread the machine regular.

Neesie 09-26-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5543643)
The weight of that cone may change your thread tension since it's heavy and will not spin easy. A super easy way to use a cone is to tape a safety pin with the round part up, set the cone beside the machine and run the thread thru the safety pin and then thread the machine regular.

By putting the spool keeper thingy (whatever it's called!) underneath it all, it turns easily. From the photos, it looks as if it's sitting directly on the machine but it's actually raised just slightly. The spool of Mettler is inside the cone, so that keeps it from being wobbly. I know it all looks too simple, to work properly . . . but so far, it seems to be working just fine. Time will tell, I guess.

Jingle 09-27-2012 05:22 AM

If it works for you that is all that counts. Both of my machines have a cone holder and spool does not move. They have a wire thing that elevates up and holds the thread as it unwinds. I have a Juki TL98QE and a Baby Lock Jane, both straight stitch machines. I haven't used cones yet but, I have thought they would be more cost effective then the spools. I have so much thread it will be several years before I need any.

May in Jersey 09-27-2012 05:37 AM

I'm going to try this as I use the large spools in cream and light grey, the colors I do most of my sewing with. I have a metal spool holder but it's heavy so I don't like to take it with me to classess or sew ins. Presently I have my big spool of thread in a small coffee can, snap on the cover for traveling. Tried using a glass jar but that makes a lot of noise and annoyed the other sewers. May in Jersey

Happy Tails 09-28-2012 02:56 AM

Neesieeeeee is that a Janome MC 12000??? I just traded my Baby Lock for one (I loved my BL but time will tell if I love this lol

Aurora 09-28-2012 04:36 AM

I buy the large spool of Star Cotton Thread and I found that the wooden spools that I purchase in the small bags at Hoby Lobby fit over the spool holder on my machine and the large spool fits over the wooden spools and turns freely.

lclang 09-28-2012 05:15 AM

I use a wide mouth pint jar behind my machine for cones.....works just as well as the costly thread thingy.

Caswews 09-28-2012 06:13 AM

Love the kenmores.. wish Kenmore actually made them instead of whoever they dealt it out to that year.!LOL
Had mine for 25 years, then it bit the dust !!!
Thanks for the idea .. usually the base with an arm on it is what I use for the comes. Didnt know cone thread was supposed to come off the side tho.. interesting ideas, thoughts from the board for sure ... Thanks for sharing your idea Neesie.

Neesie 09-28-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails (Post 5546315)
Neesieeeeee is that a Janome MC 12000??? I just traded my Baby Lock for one (I loved my BL but time will tell if I love this lol

No, mine is a 7700. I think I'd be afraid to even touch a 12000! Had a hard time, convincing myself I wouldn't hurt this one! :D

I do LOVE it, though! :thumbup:

Neesie 09-28-2012 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Caswews (Post 5546773)
Love the kenmores.. wish Kenmore actually made them instead of whoever they dealt it out to that year.!LOL
Had mine for 25 years, then it bit the dust !!!
Thanks for the idea .. usually the base with an arm on it is what I use for the comes. Didnt know cone thread was supposed to come off the side tho.. interesting ideas, thoughts from the board for sure ... Thanks for sharing your idea Neesie.

I don't think cones are "supposed" to feed from the side . . . but this particular one is working perfectly. The machine just purrs along. Am wondering if there are maybe different types of cones. This particular one is Superior So Fine and is 3250 yards. Maybe the larger cones are a totally different story. At any rate, it's a heck of a lot cheaper, to buy by the cone than by the spool! The 550 yd spool was $5.75 and the 3250 yd cone was $18.95 (at Red Rock Threads). I only bought this one color cone, to try . . . but next time I order, I'm gonna get a couple other (frequently used) colors, as well.