Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   embellishing with fibers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embellishing-fibers-t109262.html)

jaciqltznok 03-20-2011 03:35 PM

I am going to try some embellishing and have some sets of fibers that I bought for card making. Do you think these will work in fiber art quilting?

Should I wet them to test for color fastness first?
The packages don't give you any info like that. Not even fiber content!

Pam B 03-20-2011 03:39 PM

I have no clue but have wanted to do the same. I hope someone has some answers. Maybe just try it on something small and then wash and see what happens? Then you would know.

jaciqltznok 03-20-2011 03:50 PM

I am wanting to edge some magnets with it to give it a trial run...so many pretty colors and textures..hate to waste it as I rarely do the cards anymore!

quiltmaker 03-21-2011 04:00 AM

I believe Angelina Fibers are made specifically made for this and for quilts. Have't tried any yet but have seen some absolutely beautiful, stunning art quilts made with them.

ckcowl 03-21-2011 04:15 AM

is the item you plan to embellish going to be laundered later? that would be the only reason to wet/pre-wash your fibers. if it 's for a wall hanging or object that will not be laundered - no reason to worry about bleeding or shrinkage.

jaciqltznok 03-21-2011 05:20 AM

These are not Angelina fibers..they are more like yarns, ribbons, etc.

They are mostly going on art pieces!

quiltmaker 03-21-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
These are not Angelina fibers..they are more like yarns, ribbons, etc.

They are mostly going on art pieces!

Sorry, I misunderstood. I have used ribbons and laces on crazy quilts and never had any problems & even bits of beadwork. Haven't tried the yarns as of yet. If you are concerned you could always handwash to make sure there wasn't any bleed. I know there are so many lovely items out there to use on our quilts that is can become mindboggling....but IMHO if you like/love them...then by all means give them a try especially if they are for wallhanging artworks rather than actual quilts. That said, if I really loved something I would also try it on a quilt. We are only limited by ourselves....I know you've/we've seen stunning work with just about everything imaginable on them. So have fun and let your imagination take hold. The worst thing that can happen is a mistake and we all know it takes those mistakes to help us learn. Also many mistakes have been the forerunners of absolutely brilliant ideas.

grammy17 03-21-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am going to try some embellishing and have some sets of fibers that I bought for card making. Do you think these will work in fiber art quilting?

Should I wet them to test for color fastness first?
The packages don't give you any info like that. Not even fiber content!

Please post pictures of what you make.

I bought a Singer Felting machine and have never used it. Can't figure out what for... Just joined the Surface Design Guild--maybe I'll get some ideas there.

Lori S 03-21-2011 06:33 AM

I have had issues with ribbon type fibers not being colorfast or washable( almost disintegrated in the wash) . Yarn types can be tricky, as with any unknown fiber content .... you are just guessing. Test small amounts.

ghostrider 03-21-2011 06:43 AM

It depends entirely on your plans for the piece when finished. Most art quilts are not intended to be washed or even get wet...and, for me anyway, that's a big part of what makes them so very liberating to create!