Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   embroiderey software and laptop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroiderey-software-laptop-t4366.html)

hokieappmom 02-04-2008 08:11 AM

I have a babylock embroidery machine that uses .PES designs. I am considering purchasing a new laptop, but don't want vista. I can still get one with XP, and know that will be compatible with my software. But someone recommended a MAC. Does any one know if my software would be compatiable with a MAC? My daughter has a MAC a loves it, but I've always had Microsoft. Thanks for any suggestions.

hokieappmom 02-04-2008 08:25 AM

Thanks.

ceannastahr 02-05-2008 05:54 AM

I know that not all software you have for xp will work on a mac

stay-at-home 02-06-2008 08:35 PM

do you like your babylock?? i have an Esante. it is always getting nests on the bottom of the embroidery. do you have that problem???

as to the Mac. - i don't know but my friend has a Mac and everything is not compatible like my PC

Yvonne 02-06-2008 08:58 PM

Betsy, We're a Mac family and I'd never change. When I need a new computer I just go to the apple store and buy the newest and greatest I can afford. I never shop around.

I'm not into designing quilts on the computer however and can't help you with that question. I do know that there are many pc programs that will not work with an apple computer so investigate everything thoroughly before switching. Go to a Mac store and tell them what you want to do with your computer. They're a good group of people and will tell you up front whether you'll be happy with a mac or not. (They want you to be happy!)

Also, look at the system requirements on your software manual.

stay-at-home 02-07-2008 08:01 AM

just found your answer: Nancy Zieman in "Machine Embroidery" says

"most emb machine company's software/hardware programs are only compatible with IBM. currently, software compatible with Mac computers is very limited."

this is an informative book. just got it on amazon.com

hokieappmom 02-07-2008 08:10 AM

Great. Thanks for the information!

DebbiD 02-07-2008 08:41 AM

As far as the 'nests' at the bottom of the embroidery - I had that problem with my Brother and it turns out it was a notch or chip taken out of the bobbin casing. Eveytime the casing would spin it, the notch grabbed the upper thread and pulled it down. I had broken a needle and the repair man figured that is what caused it.

hokieappmom 02-07-2008 08:47 AM

Stay at home, I love my Esante, I just don't embroider as much as I'd like. I've never had a problem with nests on the underside. But recently my thread kept breaking and I finally took it to the repairman. Turns out somehow the shank had gotten crooked and he replaced it. That did the trick.

ceannastahr 02-07-2008 11:31 AM

I had the problem with the nick inthe casing. My casin the bobbin sat in was plastic so I took a fine emery board and smooth out the knick and no more problems. I did however ordered another casing for when I can't fix it