Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidering on Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidering-quilts-t42740.html)

JudyM 04-14-2010 02:48 PM

I would like help on how to embroider designs on quilts after they are put together with the backing and the batting. I am going to stitch in the ditch also, but on some of the blocks, I would like to put some quilting designs that I have in my embroidery file. Do I have to hoop the whole quilt in order to do this? I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

winipb2 04-14-2010 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JudyM
I would like help on how to embroider designs on quilts . Do I have to hoop the whole quilt in order to do this? I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

Judy No do not attempt to hoop the quilt. Instead you will place your stabizier in the hoop then put your hoop on the embroidery arm. Now place the quilt over the hoop and baste it down to the stabilizer. If you have not searched and downloaded basting stitches then you can use frame designs, Just use a very simple line frame.
Once you have basted then you just stitch your design.
Once you get used to this technique you will use basting stiches most of the time. LOL

Up North 04-14-2010 03:50 PM

I have embroidered quilts with my machine after they were sandwiched is that what you mean? Then yes you have to hoop each area you want to quilt.

JudyM 04-14-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I have embroidered quilts with my machine after they were sandwiched is that what you mean? Then yes you have to hoop each area you want to quilt.

Yes, I did mean after they were sandwiched.

nursie76 04-14-2010 06:27 PM

Judy, Where does one find and download basting stitches?

Maride 04-14-2010 06:51 PM

I have done it by hooping the whole thing, but using very thin batting, or wool. Wool is better for me because it flattens a lot, but when you remove the hoop of bounces back. Another suggestion is to do it on the floor, unless you have your embroidery machine on a big table. You don't want the sides of the quilt pulling down.

JudyM 04-14-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by winipb2

Originally Posted by JudyM
I would like help on how to embroider designs on quilts . Do I have to hoop the whole quilt in order to do this? I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

Judy No do not attempt to hoop the quilt. Instead you will place your stabizier in the hoop then put your hoop on the embroidery arm. Now place the quilt over the hoop and baste it down to the stabilizer. If you have not searched and downloaded basting stitches then you can use frame designs, Just use a very simple line frame.
Once you have basted then you just stitch your design.

Once you get used to this technique you will use basting stiches most of the time. LOL

Do you use a tearaway stabilizer?

Maride 04-14-2010 07:05 PM

With all the layers of the quilt I don't use any stabilizer.

Quilter7x 04-14-2010 07:08 PM

You ladies are brave, I wouldn't attempt to embroider something on a quilt that's already finished. I wouldn't like the stitching to show on the back side of the quilt. That's my two cents! :D

Candace 04-14-2010 07:24 PM

I've hooped and done embroidery on MANY to most of my quilts. I've never used or needed stabilizer because the designs I've done have been outline stitching only. So, it looks usually as good on the back as the front. I wouldn't do anything other than outline stitching on sandwiched quilts. Anything will fill stitches would look bad on the back.