Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Digitizing Classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-digitizing-classes-t34460.html)

JoanneS 01-18-2010 11:04 AM

I took 2 days of digitizing & editing classes last week from John Deer. Some of you have probably used his embroidery designs. It was FABULOUS even for those who had no desire to digitize embroidery designs. He's VERY entertaining, and his designs are fabulous.

He showed us how to edit embroidery designs with a software package he sells for $200 or with design software such as Pfaff's 4D Embroidery Extra.

He showed us what stabilizers to use with which fabrics. And he demo-ed making a lace butterfly and a fringed banner on a placemat.

And of course, as is true at all classes, there were great deals on embroidery packages. There were DOZENS of them, and I wanted them all! If you ever have a chance to take one of his classes, DO IT!

You've probably seen his heirloom lace embroidery packages at shows and LQSs - they are amazing. He digitized them from 100 year old lace patterns originated in his grandfather's factories. He's a 3rd generation embroiderer.

amma 01-18-2010 12:06 PM

WOW!!! That sounds like an awesome class and a fun time all rolled into one :D:D:D

Margie 01-18-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
I took 2 days of digitizing & editing classes last week from John Deer. Some of you have probably used his embroidery designs. It was FABULOUS even for those who had no desire to digitize embroidery designs. He's VERY entertaining, and his designs are fabulous.

He showed us how to edit embroidery designs with a software package he sells for $200 or with design software such as Pfaff's 4D Embroidery Extra.

He showed us what stabilizers to use with which fabrics. And he demo-ed making a lace butterfly and a fringed banner on a placemat.

And of course, as is true at all classes, there were great deals on embroidery packages. There were DOZENS of them, and I wanted them all! If you ever have a chance to take one of his classes, DO IT!

You've probably seen his heirloom lace embroidery packages at shows and LQSs - they are amazing. He digitized them from 100 year old lace patterns originated in his grandfather's factories. He's a 3rd generation embroiderer.

I am sooo glad you posted this. I signed up for a two day course he is offering in Pittsburgh in March wooohooooo even more excited now.

Margie

eparys 01-18-2010 04:46 PM

I am SO envious of you. I so wanted to take his class at the Sewing Expo but was late signing up. Glad you enjoyed it.

JoanneS 01-19-2010 10:18 AM

One thing I didn't mention when I described John Deer's 2 day class- I bought a 12 month membership in his Ultimate Embroidery On=line Stash Club. You can download up to 100 points per month - and a single embroidery is 1 point. That means you get 1200 single embroideries in a year!

The 'packet' of embroideries that you buy in a store or at a show usually has from 8 to 60 embroidery designs and sells for around $60. Generally, I don't use all the designs in a packet. This club lets you 'buy' only the designs you want to use! The 12 month membership costs - gulp - $400, but when you break it down, that's 1200 designs for $0.33 apiece! And you don't have to buy designs you don't think you'll use.

The 100 points don't 'roll over', so you have to download them each month. Great fun! I've alread downloaded 25 of my first month's points! And he adds at least 4 new packets a month! He's an amazing designer.

There are already 20,000+ designs in the collection, so there are plenty to choose from. You won't have any trouble picking 100 per month. I THINK you can join the club without going to one of his shows - but I'm not sure you can get the $400 price. I'll check it out and come back here in a later post.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-19-2010 02:36 PM

sounds like a great class.

littlehud 01-20-2010 04:48 PM

That sounds like such fun. I'm glad you had a great time.

AnnieH 02-08-2012 01:54 PM

Sounds so interesting. Glad you had such a brilliant class.
Annie