Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery machine for a starter.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-starter-t108457.html)

natalieg 03-17-2011 03:33 PM

What kind of embroidery machine would you recommend for a starter? I am not sure if I will use it and like it or decide I don't, but I have five grown children and I know that one day I will have grandkids so I was thinking it would be fun to have to make things for babies....
What one do you have and why do you like it?

Eva Knight 03-17-2011 03:51 PM

I would not get the comb. sew and embroidery. I have a Brother PC8200 that does both and it is forever giving me problems. I also have a Brother 150 that is emb. only and love it. It has been disc. but they still have a compariable machine. So I would go with embroidery only.

emmamarie 03-17-2011 03:55 PM

I have a brother.I got it used at a berinia store.it is a older one but works good and is easy to use.it is a pacesetter pe 100.

juliea9967 03-17-2011 04:58 PM

I work part time in a store that sells embroidery machines. The one thing I have seen over and over is that people buy the ones that only have 4 x 4 hoops, and before long they are regretting it.
I have a combination sewing/embroidery machine that has never given me any bad problems. My biggest hoop is 14" square and I use it alot. When they come out with a machine with a bigger hoop, I will buy it.
So - check hoop sizes before you decide to buy.

kathdavis 03-17-2011 05:25 PM

Go with the biggest hoop you can afford. You will quickly out grow the 4x4 only hoop. I agree that one should have a separate sewing machine too, so you can sew while you are embroidering. I have a Janome 300E and I have had a lot of trouble with the bobbin. Embroidery machines are a lot of fun!

susanwilley 03-17-2011 05:36 PM

I have the Singer Futura C150, sewing/embroidery and I just love it. The hoops are 4x4 and 4x6. It works great and I use both all the time.

natalieg 03-17-2011 05:38 PM

I have sewing machines and decided awhile back that if I end up getting an embroidery machine I want embroidery only. I like Brother sewing machines, so I tend to lean that way. I have a little Bernette as well and thought a Bernina would be nice, but not for a starter....too much money since I am unsure still.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep watching the thread to get more.

pamkasperi 03-17-2011 05:58 PM

I started with the brother pe 150 and now I have babylock Esante ese2 - combo sewing machine and embroidery machine - I love it!

connie_1936 03-17-2011 08:18 PM

i have a babylock elissimo and love it. have had janome 11000 and 2 viking designer diamonds and they don't compare. the price is high but worth it to me. i got the masterworks software free with the machine plus lessons. you need to try the various brands to see which one you like best. a used babylock if you can find one, doesn't have to be an elissimo. lessons to learn to embroider are important if you are a visual learner like me. definitly one with at least 4 hoop sizes.

bamamama 03-17-2011 08:23 PM

I have the brother quattro 6000D and love it!