Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-t108347.html)

GladGrams 03-17-2011 07:10 AM

I am tempted to purchase a used Husqvarna Topaz 20 to use for quilting designs into blocks and around borders.

Does anyone else use their embroidery machines in this way? I would like to hold onto my Sapphire 870 (Viking) to use for piecing.

Thoughts anyone?

Grama Lehr 03-17-2011 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Viking, Designer 1 and a Viking Husky lock serger and LOVE both of them. I can use my embroidery part, while I piece on my ancient White machine. I would not get rid of them! My hubby walks by my sewing room and just shakes his head.
I haven't tried to embroider/quilt blocks yet, but I know lots of people do it!

bjeriann 03-17-2011 07:58 AM

I have the Designer 1 and a Freesia, love them both. I've used the D1 to quilt--it works great. Then I got a Mega Quilter with a 9" throat to use on a HQ frame. Now I want to get a larger throat (18" or larger).

hobbykat1955 03-17-2011 03:53 PM

I have the SE and use it to do embroidered blocks...love it

GladGrams 03-22-2011 05:42 AM

Bought the Topaz 20 and now am intimated to take it out of the darn box! :oops:

CoriAmD 03-22-2011 05:47 AM

I have the Brother SE400 - got it at Walmart. I bought it especially for quilting and love it! There are tons of single run quilt outline stitches available on the Embroidery sites online.

wolph33 03-22-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by GladGrams

don't be afraid-use it. I love my Husqvarnas-they are awesome

peacebypiece 03-22-2011 07:31 AM

Gladgrams...
The topaz is one of Viking's better ideas. Does a lot of the larger stuff for a smaller price. GET IT OUT AND USE IT!
Just keep the user manual handy. Otherwise programing it is a breeze.
Ask your dealer for help/classes.

Quilter7x 03-22-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GladGrams

I don't have this machine, but I'm very glad you got it. I am positive you will make wonderful things with it. I love your idea of using it for blocks and around borders.

There must be some classes you can take on it, maybe at the LQS. You'll probably have to pay for them, but what a world of difference it will make if you have someone show you how to use your new/used machine.

Take it out of the box!! :lol:

Freddie 03-22-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I have the Brother SE400 - got it at Walmart. I bought it especially for quilting and love it! There are tons of single run quilt outline stitches available on the Embroidery sites online.

I am planning to quilt my latest twin size quilt on my new Brother PE 770. Have never done it before. Could you please let me know some online places for single run outline patterns?