Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Pricing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-pricing-t49196.html)

jetnica 06-10-2010 07:30 PM

So,

I got offered an opportunity to work with a local shirt shop to work on embroidery for them. (Shirts & Bags mostly).

They told me to give them a price (my cost + profit) and they would add a few dollars (thier profit) and go from there.

I have NO IDEA what to charge - most sites look like they are charging by number of stitches - but I'm not at the point where I can count stitches (I'm hoping to make the money to buy PE Design 8)

Any Suggestions?

As always - your advice and support are greatly appreciated!

Maride 06-10-2010 07:32 PM

Is this machine embroidery? Your machine may have a Number of stitches feature. Will you digitize the designs for them?

jetnica 06-10-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
Is this machine embroidery? Your machine may have a Number of stitches feature. Will you digitize the designs for them?

Yep - Machine Embroidery. I have a Brother PE-780D -- as far as I can find, I can't find a stitch count feature (though it would make sense that it would have one).

I will do VERY basic digitizing at first, but they have a graphic designer (? idk if he is capable of digitizing to embroidery files) -- I say basic digitizing -- like putting together a picture design with a few words...

I'm a little overwhelmed, but very excited!

Maride 06-11-2010 04:44 AM

I have a PE 750 and it has a stitch count. I am sure yours does too. If you go to the feature that tells you to list the colors to be used, you can change it to display the stitch count or the time it will require to stitch the design.

sewjoyce 06-11-2010 05:09 AM

I have no idea what you should charge but I'm so excited for your opportunity!! :D :thumbup:

ladydi64 06-11-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
So,

I got offered an opportunity to work with a local shirt shop to work on embroidery for them. (Shirts & Bags mostly).

They told me to give them a price (my cost + profit) and they would add a few dollars (thier profit) and go from there.

I have NO IDEA what to charge - most sites look like they are charging by number of stitches - but I'm not at the point where I can count stitches (I'm hoping to make the money to buy PE Design 8)

Any Suggestions?

As always - your advice and support are greatly appreciated!

Figure your cost of materials, thread, webbing base, etc. and multiply by 3, that's your profit.

Deecee 06-11-2010 05:26 AM

[quote=ladydi64
Figure your cost of materials, thread, webbing base, etc. and multiply by 3, that's your profit.[/quote]

Ditto.

craftybear 06-11-2010 05:20 PM

good luck!

JanetM 06-11-2010 07:24 PM

I can't give you an actual price to charge, but you need to consider cost of materials,
time involved in digitizing,
time for testing your design,
compensation for your skills and talent.

I've head that some people charge a minimum of $5 for set-up,
$1 per thousand stitches, and $1 for each color change.

As you know, the time to embroider the design can be lengthy, and does require you to babysit the machine. Don't short change your skill or time. :wink:

Edit: One last thought. Is the embroidery business going to purchase the design from you, or will you retain all rights to your digitized design...something to consider.

amma 06-12-2010 05:18 AM

What a great opportunity!!!
Maybe you can embroider out a few designs according to the anticipated orders. Track your time, how much materials you used and then figure out your final price. Don't forget to factor in some wear and tear on your machine too.

Will you be able to buy your supplies in bulk to help save money?