Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   English paper piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/english-paper-piecing-question-t226209.html)

dakotamaid 07-20-2013 06:10 PM

English paper piecing question

OK, ladies and gents, I need your expertise on English paper piecing.

I have seen some tutes where, instead of stitching down the edges of the paper piece, you use washable glue to fasten down the edges around the paper piece. My question is, how do you remove the paper when it is time to do so?

Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice.

nana2madmax 07-20-2013 06:37 PM

You have two options:

1. If you choose glue, you have to moisten the fabric with water (spray or damp cloth) so that the paper will release.

2. A better way is to cut your foundations from freezer paper. Place the shiny side up and iron the edges down. The freezer paper peels off and can be used multiple times.

dakotamaid 07-20-2013 06:52 PM

Thank you for your answer. The freezer paper is a great idea but I inherited a good amount of paper pieces in various sizes and shapes and would like to use them. I'm assuming I only glue down and don't use heat to set it?
I already have done about 50 rosettes with thread and thought there has to be a quicker and easier way for these old fingers to get this done!

roselady 07-20-2013 09:15 PM

I haven't had a problem getting the paper off, when I was done with the sewing. I never wet it, the fabric just came right up off the paper. It doesn't ruin the paper either, I used the pieces over and over.

DOTTYMO 07-20-2013 09:50 PM

I assume you are doing hexagons or similiar.if your use paper pieces of even card mark and press seams take card off and put glue inside and press to set. The glue must be school washable glue so that it will spritz out with the water. You should tack down the edges before joining shapes.

jemma 07-20-2013 11:29 PM

if you want to only glue -use only the glue as described --sew the sections together before
taking the papers out water spray will help them out

tessagin 07-21-2013 12:55 AM

I iron the edges down, pull the papers out then pin quickly. I try to do quite a few at a time. Same with yo yos.

quilter1 07-21-2013 03:53 AM

I am working on a GFG now and stitching the paper to the hexie is so easy, and easy to remove the paper. I would think that using glue would make the process more difficult. I take 1 stitch in each corner of the hexie and overlap at the end by 1 stitch. It holds and is easy to remove.

dakotamaid 07-21-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 (Post 6187970)
I am working on a GFG now and stitching the paper to the hexie is so easy, and easy to remove the paper. I would think that using glue would make the process more difficult. I take 1 stitch in each corner of the hexie and overlap at the end by 1 stitch. It holds and is easy to remove.

Quilter1, that is how I do it now but was wondering if the glue would make things easier with the smaller pieces such as the 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch hexies and/or diamonds. Sounds like I should just stick to my needle and thread. Although I think I will try a few with the glue and see how it goes with me.

QuiltnNan 07-21-2013 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by nana2madmax (Post 6187721)
You have two options:

1. If you choose glue, you have to moisten the fabric with water (spray or damp cloth) so that the paper will release.

2. A better way is to cut your foundations from freezer paper. Place the shiny side up and iron the edges down. The freezer paper peels off and can be used multiple times.

i think i need to try this method!