Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Enlightening Fabric Shopping Trip... and Disappointing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/enlightening-fabric-shopping-trip-disappointing-t182597.html)

Divokittysmom 03-12-2012 04:49 PM

Enlightening Fabric Shopping Trip... and Disappointing

I know this has been discussed before, but now I have seen it with my own eyes!! I cheerfully set off on a fabric shopping expedition this past weekend. I am working on a quilt from Darcy Ashtons, 'Bunnies & More' book. I am a certified bunny lover!! :D As I perused the aisles of cotton fabrics I was not only shocked and disappointed by appalled by the QUALITY of the fabrics!! I felt as if I were looking at cheesecloth.... not cotton fabrics!! :thumbdown::thumbdown: I kept going from aisle to aisle as I was not finding anything that worked with my 9 floral bunny blocks. I kept searching through bolt after bolt and found the quality of nearly every bolt to be totally unsatisfactory... I mean come on now, if you can count the threads per square inch without squinting..... that's a pretty good sign the fabric (to me anyway) is substandard!! Honestly, I didn't even bother looking at the price of the fabric per yard even though it was on sale I had no plans to buy a single inch let along a yard or two.
I moved on to fabric store #2 hoping not only to find a color that worked but BETTER QUALITY fabric!! I most likely do not have to tell you that I didn't find the quality any better than the first fabric store. Again, I was totally blown away by my 'enlightening' fabric shopping spree! I know it's been written here several times but I am totally shocked at the quality of our fabrics right now.
This was not a LQS by the way.. and I really don't want to discuss where I was shopping but I am sure one could most likely figure it out anyway. I don't want to put any fabric shop down at all as I feel it's most likely the manufacturers that are sending this .... junk to the stores!! I seriously don't blame the fabric stores! JMHO
Sign me
One very disappointed fabric shopper!! :(
Thanks for listening!

quiltstringz 03-12-2012 04:58 PM

I have found quality fabrics at my lqs - prices have gone up but then so has everything. I really hit them when they are having a sale

SueJ 03-12-2012 05:10 PM

We happened to be in Walmart's the other day & I just browsed the fabrics. The woman was stocking the shelves with new fabric that had just come in. I believe the price was under $4.00 a yard & when I commented on it, she said it was coming from Pakistan.

luvTooQuilt 03-12-2012 05:15 PM

I did a shop hop friday and WOW- sticker shock.. the prices have risen A LOT... Needless to say I came home with 1/8 of what i normally would of had.. I couldn't force myself to spend that much money..

I too was shocked to see the fabric quality diminished and the prices rose..

mighty 03-12-2012 05:29 PM

This is so sad!!!!

QandE2010 03-12-2012 05:45 PM

One of our LQS in town is closing, as owner is retiring. She has all fabrics listed for $5.00 yr for anything. She carries a VERY large selection of quality fabric. I've been there 3 times in last week & have purchased at least 25 different fabrics with minimum of 4 yds each. I am so excited to get them washed, but I have them spread out on my dining table & am just basking in their beauty.

Divokittysmom 03-12-2012 05:47 PM

I was also at WalMart and found their fabrics were $7.97 per yd there. There were less expensive cottons too. But the better quality fabrics were more spendy. I did forget to add that I actually did find what I was searching for at WalMart!!

annies-best 03-12-2012 05:52 PM

the quality is just not there like it use to be
cotton is so high right now they are making the fabric as cheap as they can

Lori S 03-12-2012 06:59 PM

There are a few stores that I just won't buy fabric in anymore no matter what , as I can't believe they can get it that thin. A few times I was lured by a nice looking print, only to find the thinness to be just shocking.

Julie in WA 03-12-2012 10:30 PM

Good reason to shop your stash or watch estate sales! I visit http://www.estatesales.net/ each week and check the listings...if it says sewing stuff or fabrics, I go check it out. The fabrics are never the current modern/contemporary lines, but I have found some amazing buys within my budget!