Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Etsy?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/etsy-t186923.html)

ejpkam 04-23-2012 05:59 AM

Etsy??

Does anyone seem to have good luck with Etsy selling? I've sold a few items but very sporadic. Is there any other websites for handmade that are better? Thank u

CoyoteQuilts 04-23-2012 06:31 AM

Probably not. Lots of people have jumped on the bandwagon since E-bay. I think the only people that sell on these sites are the ones that have been there for long time and the ones that know how to get up there on the 'search' engines. You need to post your link to your shop EVERYWHERE.... Her on your signature line, at the end of all of your e-mails and any correspondence ....

qwkslver 04-23-2012 06:35 AM

I sold some candles there once (went in the hole big time as I miscalculated the shipping charges). Decided it wasn't for me. I think most of the people there are trying to sell their stuff, not buy yours. I might be wrong.

babyboomerquilter 04-23-2012 07:50 AM

Etsy is the biggest site for homemade items. There are other small ones, but nothing that compares to etsy.

ejpkam 04-23-2012 07:54 AM

Thanks 4 advice everyone I might try art & craft fairs locally

tngal22 04-23-2012 08:16 AM

From a buyers stand point, I love Etsy. It is where I go when I want something different. I check the site about every other day, if not daily. I also love it for inspiration. I have even bought fabric from there, all good experience. On another note, I do think sometimes prices are too high. Yes the item is adorable and I would love to have it but spending $100 + $15 shipping for something that I probably could do myself cheaper, no thank you. If you do sell on there, be sure it is priced right. Priced so you make a profit sure, but not so high that most won't buy it.

Best of luck to you!

Pat625 04-23-2012 11:01 AM

How much is it to get your own website? Is it hard to set up?
I too have looked at Etsy and think the prices are high, although I do understand the work that goes into things.
I traveled the craft show circuit for 17 years, and it has pretty well bottomed out due to the imports and economy. People think of them like a flea market and are always looking for a bargain..To make money you need to invest in the bigger juried shows, and then it is even hard to make back expenses.
I just went out on disability and have been researching ways to supplement my income. Another venue I am in the process of researching is amazon.
Good luck and keep us up to date if you find anything good, and I will do the same!!

ejpkam 04-23-2012 11:47 AM

Yes I keep hearing about economy too :( I think my prices are very fair on etsy & I don't make a dime on the shipping part.

momto5 04-23-2012 03:16 PM

I had an Etsy site for a year and didn't have one sale...needless to say, I wouldn't be one to ask about how effective it is as a sales venue...;)

mucky 04-23-2012 03:26 PM

I sell a few items a year but listing is very inexpensive and better tha nothing. Had a quilt on for 3 years. Traduced the price $50 each year and it finally sold.