Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   even though i preach- give it & don't look back...sometimes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/even-though-i-preach-give-dont-look-back-sometimes-t137257.html)

ckcowl 07-13-2011 05:11 AM

a few years ago i was approached to donate quilts for a fund raiser- i did- give a twin size quilt- i had about $60 into--- the fund raiser was not well organized- and they wound up getting all of $15 for the quilt- i was (discouraged) and vowed to not make that mistake again.

here i am again- last month i was asked for donations for a fundraiser pig roast- they were having a silent auction and a live auction- it was a very well organized large fund raiser- i gave them 3 small- kids quilts- one i only had $15 into- the other 2 about $30 ($75 total)
was called a few days ago with...
"oh by the way- those quilts you gave us--- we got $10 for one and $15 for the other two! thanks...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
i know i'm supposed to give them and turn my back without any more thought----but i really almost feel - ripped off---
2 of the quilts were very cute- with lots of work- and i actually made same quilts for a different organization---the other quilts were raffled and they made over $200 apiece

i was given (sort of) an excuse---that by the time they got to the quilts at the auction something else was happening-- people thought it was over or something- i don't know- i don't care- i just feel===well you know-
i guess next time this group approaches me i will simply say- sorry no- or just give them $20 and call it good.
i know= i'm always saying once you give it---
i need to just get over it....wouldn't be so bad except the person who was (in charge) is the daughter of a fabulous quilter---who knows better!

ptquilts 07-13-2011 05:13 AM

sounds like a good idea to just give cash, and explain why. Save your nice work for people who appreciate it. Sorry this happened to you.

Painiacs 07-13-2011 05:14 AM

I don't blame u! My daughter did a silent auction and even she knew to put a min bid!!!

Kuusistoquilter 07-13-2011 05:15 AM

I would chalk it up as an experience and the next time you are asked to donate something, give them money instead of your time. I know it is dissapointing to not have your hard work appreciated, but hold strong. I have been asked to donate things to a silent auction, and many times I had to buy back my items for a very low rate. What do you want to spend your time on?

donnajean 07-13-2011 05:16 AM

Was the fundraiser at least a qualified charitable organization that you can claim a tax deduction for? I'm with you & in the future just give them some cash. What a waste of time & effort.

PaperPrincess 07-13-2011 05:17 AM

I am also a "give it & don't look back" kind of gal, but I would be a bit miffed too. It think that your idea of just donating $20 is a great idea, especially if the same group had the nerve to ask you again!

Thusnelda 07-13-2011 05:18 AM

Oh no! I can feel and understand your frustration.

Try to think of the one person who got the quilt and went home really happy about the unbelievable bargain he or most likely she got. I'm sure she treasures it no less, even if she paid so little.

May in Jersey 07-13-2011 05:19 AM

Oh, that's a bummer. I don't know why some fund raisers get big bids on quilts and others don't.

Been there and done that with the twin sized quilt DIL asked me to make for the silent auction at the autistic school she works at. Their fund raisers usually bring in big bucks. After the school's director's handicapped DD put a bid in for it the other people stopped putting their bids in as they wanted her to 'win' it. It did make more than the cost of the fabrics but DIL expected at least $200 for it. Live and Learn but sometimes we forget and do it all over again. Like your new idea of giving them a cash donation instead of a quilt that you put lots of time and effort into.

Tartan 07-13-2011 05:22 AM

Nowadays everyone and their dog are doing fundraisers. A great idea but some are just poorly done. They go around looking for donations of things and because you give them freely (out of the goodness of your heart) they think they are free and of little value. A cash donation does sound like the way to go if the fundraiser is poorly organized and run.

donnaree59 07-13-2011 05:23 AM

I'm sure I'd feel just as you do. With hand crafted items, people just don't understand the TIME let alone the expense involved. This lady should have known that though... Sorry for your bad experience (again).