Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever done a mystery quilt ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-done-mystery-quilt-t10586.html)

Quilt4u 08-27-2008 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made one mystery quilt with my guild.

reneebobby 08-27-2008 02:35 AM

Oh that is a pretty mystery quilt.

Quilting Aggi 08-27-2008 04:01 AM

oooh Quilt4you what a beautiful quilt!

sandpat 08-28-2008 04:32 AM

I'm exactly like you! I have commited to the Mystery Tote to make myself break habit. With all this fabric sitting around, you'd think I wouldn't be afraid to just grab some and get going...but NOOOOO..I'd hate to waste a thread of my stash making something I might not be crazy about :wink: :lol: :lol:

KyTriplets 08-28-2008 04:51 AM

I've never liked the idea of a mystery quilt either. I guess I like to pick colors based on the overall quilt design so making a quilt without any control gives me the heeby geebies!

Chele 08-28-2008 05:12 AM

Perhaps starting with a small mystery quilt or even the mystery tote bag project will help you expand your quilting knowledge.

Not that being boxed in is bad, but the mysteries are really a lot of fun. I think you would enjoy them. They are kind of exciting and mysterious like a good novel or movie.

Skeat 08-28-2008 06:46 AM

How many times have we driven somewhere we didn't know and were lost and on a hunch we turned either left or right, etc...and at the end of the story, w/o knowing any direction...we found our destination?
In mystery projects or quilts ...they are exactly that. Only difference is it is like an onstar...once in awhile someone speaks to us to point us a direction further down the road.
We all like to see a pattern up front so we can pick colors, etc. It's scary to think we are making a quilt in the dark, and in a sense that is exactly what we are doing.
Some great ideas and learning come when we quit trying to be perfect and safe in a plan. Here, you pick the amount of fabric...and wait. And, as long as you like your fabrics of choice, then you really know at the end of the story...it won't ever be bad.
Some great suggestions here for you...start w/something simple and also praises from experience of others in 'where' to do a mystery project. The tote is a great way to step out of the box w/only 1 foot out:))But, do step...they are not stressfull...no wrong in your doing. Just 'do it'....and, you will prob be thrilled in letting someone else point you the direction. They are fun...and, in the end...a good thing:0)As I tell my kids....try it once...then decide:))And a tote is a small project to blindly do:))Skeat

Jim's Gem 08-28-2008 08:25 AM

I have done about 6 mystery quilts. Most of them I had a great time doing. They were done in my church quilt group and usually the person who selected the mystery has made it first to get all the bugs out and to help guide us a little with fabric and color choices. 3 of those were Debbie Caffrey patterns. I have never done one online on through a shop. One year I selected the mystery and made it into a queen size quilt. It is fun when you doing it together as a group, we would be gathered (about 6-8 of us) in a room at the church experienceing this together

signitwright 08-28-2008 09:20 AM

amy, Try a small mystery quilt. Then , if you don't like it, you have not invested much. And you have a gift for someone else. lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Pam W.

beachlady 08-28-2008 10:49 AM

Try the mystery tote - only step one has been posted and Tina said it would probably only be 3 or 4 weeks. Easy and done quickly. Also fat quarters can be used for part if not all of it. So not too much expense.