Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever purchased from fabricstodyefor.com? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-purchased-fabricstodyefor-com-t35826.html)

Quiltgranny 02-03-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jois
Call your credit card company and they will cancel the charge to your card. It is the only way to stop the process. You can always re-order if they get their act together.

Jois

I called our bank, as I used our debit card for this purchase. The process may be similar to canceling a credit card purchase, I'm not sure. I need to go to the bank to fill out a "debit card dispute charge" form. My personal banker will watch for that charge to come through (if it ever does), and then notify me if it did. If the charge comes through, then it may take up to 30 days to get my money back after my personal banker disputes the charge with the company I purchased from.

Given the BBB's "F" rating, the fact that there is NO phone number on their site to call them, the two I found by Googling have been discontinued and that I've sent two emails so far that have gone unanswered, my personal banker told me I've done everything I could, they will have no problem conducting the dispute - if there is one. There is no charge for this service.

Well, this situation sure puts me back on high alert from now on. Guess I need to stick with companies I know or that others have done business with. I did read a review on the product I was trying to purchase from them, and the review mentioned this company as one that sold them. So, I guess you never know. The old caveat still stands, "Buyer beware."

Marlys 02-03-2010 06:47 PM

Just a note. I recently retired from banking. We discouraged our customers from using their debit cards online. Once the bad guys have the #, it is easy for them to continue charging things and it comes straight out of your account. It makes it very hard to dispute. Usually the bank ends up eating it to keep their customers happy. We encouraged our customers to have a credit card just for online purchases. It is much easier to dispute it with the credit card company - they seem to have a lot more clout! The other thing our customers were starting to do was to buy a pre-paid credit card just for online use. That way if someone used the #, there are limited funds attached to the card.

Quiltgranny 02-03-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Marlys
Just a note. I recently retired from banking. We discouraged our customers from using their debit cards online. Once the bad guys have the #, it is easy for them to continue charging things and it comes straight out of your account. It makes it very hard to dispute. Usually the bank ends up eating it to keep their customers happy. We encouraged our customers to have a credit card just for online purchases. It is much easier to dispute it with the credit card company - they seem to have a lot more clout! The other thing our customers were starting to do was to buy a pre-paid credit card just for online use. That way if someone used the #, there are limited funds attached to the card.

Hi Marlys,

Thank you so much for all of your sage advice regarding the use of debit cards for online use. I was not aware of these things. The one thing I have done to minimize any cleaning out of our account, is that I use this account strictly for online purchases and keep only the amount I intend to use in one month in there. Believe me, that's just a very small amount.

Since I'll be stopping by the bank tomorrow, I will ask about the pre-paid credit cards. Again, many thanks. :thumbup:

Marlys 02-03-2010 07:36 PM

Good idea on the way you handle your account. That keeps you from really getting taken! I hope I was some help and good luck.

Quiltgranny 02-03-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Marlys
Good idea on the way you handle your account. That keeps you from really getting taken! I hope I was some help and good luck.

Thank you, Marlys. Yes, you were a LOT of help, not only to me, but surely to many others as well. I'll keep everyone posted on the development of this story.