Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever ruin a quilt with Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-ruin-quilt-quilting-t121736.html)

JudyMN 05-08-2011 01:14 PM

I used the wrong color thread when I did the free motion meandering quilting on a bargello. Up close the thread color I chose looked OK, but when I finished it and stood back, the red thread I used looked horrible on the plain green. It was fine on the reds, whites, and green prints, but the plain green ruined the whole thing. I really do not want to "Unsew" the whole thing, but I may have to. Any suggestions? I will use invisible thread from now on!

JulieR 05-08-2011 01:16 PM

Do you have a pic?

I think I'd wash and dry it. After that I bet you don't notice anymore.

Tallulah 05-08-2011 01:19 PM

Put it aside for a little while. You are too closely involved in how it looks. When you get it back out, look at the quilt as a whole. It is the overall appearance that people see. I wouldn't take the quilting out. I am sure that it is lovely. Love the avatar.

LivelyLady 05-08-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Do you have a pic?

I think I'd wash and dry it. After that I bet you don't notice anymore.

I agree with JulieR. A table topper I did FMQ on did not look good at all and I was so disappointed but it was for my own use and washed and dried it. You couldn't see the horrible quilting I had done.

Tropical 05-08-2011 01:39 PM

I agree with the others. I have done things that I have not been happy with upon completion. I put them away for a while and then when I got them out again, I couldn't even find what I didn't like about it.

patricej 05-08-2011 01:44 PM

i recently gave a friend of mine a pile of quilts and blankets so she could take them to the cat shelter at which she volunteers.

in the pile was a quilt i was convinced i had ruined with a poor quilting choice. i could barely stand the site of it and considered it best suited to a kitty cage.

she absolutely loved it; raved about how much her grand-daughter would love it; thought i had lost my mind. (ok. i have lost my mind, but that's another 37 very long stories. :lol: )

so ... score one for the grands ... one less for the cats. :lol:

point of the story being that others will look at your quilt and think it's absolutely faaaaaabulous. i'm sure of it. ;-)

ontheriver 05-08-2011 05:25 PM

Not as long as I can find my seam ripper. Spend many hours unpicking quilting I didn't like.

Lori S 05-08-2011 05:56 PM

Yes , once and I will never ever forget it . It contained over 17,000 one inch squares so all were 1/2 inch finished, The quitling just over took the small details of the piecing. This was one of those occasions , less is more! It would have been so much better with less , alot less quilting. This was a lesson that was tough to learn on such a labor intensive top.

jaciqltznok 05-08-2011 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JudyMN
I used the wrong color thread when I did the free motion meandering quilting on a bargello. Up close the thread color I chose looked OK, but when I finished it and stood back, the red thread I used looked horrible on the plain green. It was fine on the reds, whites, and green prints, but the plain green ruined the whole thing. I really do not want to "Unsew" the whole thing, but I may have to. Any suggestions? I will use invisible thread from now on!

I didn't, the LAQ did....this was to be entered into a show...never made it...the quilting made me so mad....This was an original design with hand dyed fabrics....furious about it to this day...3 years later!

JulieR 05-08-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

I didn't, the LAQ did....this was to be entered into a show...never made it...the quilting made me so mad....

Holy crow, I would have been mad, too!

Wow, I'm kinda mesmerized. It's like seeing the quilting from one quilt laid over the top of another.