Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Exhibition ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/exhibition-ideas-t161277.html)

2Chuckie2 10-18-2011 04:20 AM

My local group is planning an exhibition for October next year and I wondered if any of you have any suggestions of attractions which have worked in your area. So far we are planning a couple of traders, refreshments, quilts on show, and some one-hour workshops.

3incollege 10-18-2011 04:50 AM

I think you it covered, Maybe something for the kids.

ghostrider 10-18-2011 05:53 AM

One of the local guilds here has a ‘touch me’ quilt that they hang at all their shows and that has traveled to guilds in several neighboring states.

The quilt was designed with 16 different blocks, each representing different types of quilting. Each of the four borders is different. The entire right side is left open so visitors can see the inside of the quilt, and on that last row the quilt is tied. One of the blocks is paper pieced and the paper is left on the block. It gives visitors a real ‘hands on’ experience of what goes into a quilt.

It was put together by eight members of the guild and is always a very popular…and educational…exhibit.

QuiltnNan 10-18-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
One of the local guilds here has a ‘touch me’ quilt that they hang at all their shows and that has traveled to guilds in several neighboring states.

The quilt was designed with 16 different blocks, each representing different types of quilting. Each of the four borders is different. The entire right side is left open so visitors can see the inside of the quilt, and on that last row the quilt is tied. One of the blocks is paper pieced and the paper is left on the block. It gives visitors a real ‘hands on’ experience of what goes into a quilt.

It was put together by eight members of the guild and is always a very popular…and educational…exhibit.

i really love this idea!

AliKat 10-18-2011 06:38 AM

OK here goes:

A Raffle Quilt for your group to make money and keep entrance fee, if any down.

Someone from a breast cancer group that makes the breast cancer pillows. They will be able to do a show and tell, receive donations, and get others interested in making their pillows.

A table for children to use crayons on precut squares that will them be made into a quilt. It could be a donation quilt.

Treats should be in an area totally separate esp since some folk just don't get it about not touching quilts and some bring their kids.

We had bed turnings with each quilt history being given. Some were tops and not quilts because [for example]great-grandma made them years ago and the papers are still in them.

A quilt appraiser, if not actually doing appraisals then a schedule for people to sign up to get quilts appraised at a later date.

A Hide and Seek game or a quilting word scramble for those attending.

If you have room, then maybe a LQS would be a vendor???

And, of course, a table for your organization to recruit new members.

We had our display frames handmade. They can be made of piping, wood, or PVC pipe.

As much lighting as you can get. You definitely don't want it dark.

Banners or easily seen, with few words, for advertising. Fliers should be colorful and again with only necessary word in BIG print and the other things in smaller print ... and they should be out as early as needed for your area. Our quilt show is in Feb but there are quilt shows all over. So we wanted our fliers out in October and our ads too - like in the Country Register [unfortunately, the person in charge forgot the ad and it won't be in til December.]

I know I plan months ahead with friends to go to quilt shows. The quilt shows we put on our calendars are what we go to. So, if advertisement isn't done timely, you won't get as many folk. Heck we travel to all sorts of small town for quilt shows, so advertising in a bigger nearby town might be worth it.

Good luck and God speed.

ali

QuiltE 10-18-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

What a great idea!! .... LQS' could capitalize on that one too.

I'd also suggest different types of batting used in the separate blocks, bindings and borders done in different ways, piecing (PP, traditional, OBW, applique, etc.), different quilting methods (QAYG, hand, LA, etc, and the sub types within each)

Phenomenal idea!!!!!!!!!!

2Chuckie2 10-21-2011 10:29 AM

Thanks Alikat
Those ideas were really useful. Thanks for taking the time!