Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Explain or describe to me just what you consider Stitch in the Ditch. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/explain-describe-me-just-what-you-consider-stitch-ditch-t238167.html)

Skittl1321 01-05-2014 01:28 PM

When I stitch in the ditch, I stitch right on top of the seam. The quilting cannot be seen unless I make a mistake.

justflyingin 01-05-2014 01:32 PM

I "stitched in the ditch" long before I ever quilted. It is a tried and true method of securing things--often facings on clothing, etc. Not sure why it would "cut" the stitches. It makes everything nice and stable.

And the reason we all don't like it, Dina, is 'cuz it's HARD to do accurately! :)

justflyingin 01-05-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6494524)
. I, personal, Meander Around the Ditch now matter how hard I try to SID.

Too funny! I find myself doing that too!

justflyingin 01-05-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 6494452)
A If that is the case how does that hold the piecing together?

It doesn't need to hold the piecing together. The machine stitching holds the top together without a problem. Think clothes--you don't need to quilt them down in order to keep them from falling apart in the washing machine. (Or at least you shouldn't!)

dunster 01-05-2014 01:46 PM

Any quilting, including SITD, is not meant to hold your piecing together - your piecing stitches should do that. The purpose of quilting is to hold the 3 layers of the quilt sandwich together, in such a way that nothing shifts. (I have, however, used quilting stitches to hold together a vintage quilt that was coming apart at the seams. That's not how it's supposed to work, but in that case it wasn't worth the time to try to fix the real problems - seams that were too narrow, fraying fabric, etc.) Sometimes SITD is done before more intricate stitching, as a means of stabilizing the quilt. It only works when there's a ditch, meaning the seams are pressed to one side, and is especially hard to do if the seams aren't consistently pressed. It's just another technique for the machine quilter to use, and not the easiest, especially on the longarm, but it can be very effective. I found scissor queen's comment about the origins of SITD very interesting, something I hadn't known before, and it totally makes sense.

luana 01-05-2014 02:47 PM

I took a class from Craftsy where the instructor wanted us to start every project by stitching in "every stinking ditch", her words, not mine, using bottom line tread. Then we would go on to feathers, or other designs that would show. The jury is still out on that one. I'm not convinced it's necessary.

Debbie B 01-05-2014 02:57 PM

I always aim for the ditch, but never seem to be able to stay in there. My machine sits in front of a window and I guess I'm easily distracted. Like that cartoon dog in the movie Up...Squirrel!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-05-2014 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by luana (Post 6495023)
I took a class from Craftsy where the instructor wanted us to start every project by stitching in "every stinking ditch", her words, not mine, using bottom line tread. Then we would go on to feathers, or other designs that would show. The jury is still out on that one. I'm not convinced it's necessary.

Necessary or not it's not going to happen here! That is way too much work for this lazy girl.

Dina 01-05-2014 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 6494884)

And the reason we all don't like it, Dina, is 'cuz it's HARD to do accurately! :)

Well, I didn't mean ALL my stitches are right on top of the seam stitching...:) But most are. I have a nifty SID foot that really really helps.

Dina

Mdegenhart 01-05-2014 03:47 PM

It is stitching AWAY from the seam. If it were truly supposed to be IN the seam the SID feet wouldn't have the flange and a set off needle position. It is supposed to emphasize your quilt pattern.