Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EZ3 Quilting frame ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ez3-quilting-frame-t173516.html)

mamma482 12-28-2011 03:17 PM

EZ3 Quilting frame ??

My DH got me the Grace EZ3 quilting frame for Christmas. Today I tried to attach fabric with the tubing to no avail. So I worked it without fabric. After 45 minutes, broken nails, skun fingers and many choice words I got the tubing in and not sure I ever want to take it out again. hehe Will it always be this difficult? If so I don't think this frame is going to work for me. CAn anyone give me any tips to make that job much easier?
mamma

Leonita 12-28-2011 03:57 PM

Call the grce com. They ere very helpful to me when we had problems with a Little Gracie frame.

Crossstitcher 12-28-2011 04:01 PM

Can you just attach cloth to the poles and then attach the quilt pieces to the cloth? Slide a cloth leader (what I call them) over the poles. I made some for my frame.

mamma482 12-28-2011 04:16 PM

I can't attach anything tightly without using the tubing. :( It just spins. The tubing is what holds the leaders in place on the metal rods. I did email the Grace Company. I'm just glad I don't need the frame just yet. But am quite sad just the same.

I just started quilting about a year ago. My biggest project was a king size quilt for our bed using the Trip around the World pattern. Not sure I want to do anything that big again. But it did turn out quite nice if I do say so myself. :)

Kat Sews 12-29-2011 06:52 AM

Do you have the tool for putting the tubing in the slot? With the right tool it is much easier to put the fabric on the frame. Also you will still need a leader for at least the back rail.

Rose Marie 12-29-2011 07:12 AM

My Imperial frame has tubing that came with a device to install it. It went in fine with no problems. The device has a roller on it that pushes the tubing in the slot.

mamma482 12-29-2011 08:08 AM

Yes, I have and used the roller. I think the tubing is old since it is quite stiff. I've heard nothing from Grace yet either. Not very happy at this point.

trif 12-29-2011 08:24 AM

I purchased the leaders from grace company that Velcro onto the poles then you just pin your fabric to leaders, so much easier and straighter! If it's too costly you can make your own leaders and buy the stick on Velcro at home improvement store, much cheaper to purchase there than at craft store. You will be much happier!

Quiltmaniac2010 12-29-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by trif (Post 4820792)
I purchased the leaders from grace company that Velcro onto the poles then you just pin your fabric to leaders, so much easier and straighter! If it's too costly you can make your own leaders and buy the stick on Velcro at home improvement store, much cheaper to purchase there than at craft store. You will be much happier!

This is what I did with my new Majestic Grace frame. I had a Grace GMQ Pro that I bought the fabric leaders for. My husband and I managed to get the tubing into the slots, using the tool it comes with, to attach the leaders. (with many choice words in the process!!) Once they are in, they stay in forever (unless you take the frame apart to change the size which I never did) You pin your fabrics to the cloth leaders. When I got my Majestic, the leader package I bought came with Velcro on the leaders and rolls of stick-on Velcro to place on the rails. This was so much easier!! I wonder if you "heated" the tubing a bit with a hairdryer if it would make it easier to push into the slot? Good luck! I have had to contact the Grace company a couple of times and have had great service from them.

Cowman Creations 01-07-2012 08:57 AM

I got one of these frames off Craig's List. It didn't come with the tool and some of the tubing is missing. I made some leaders but haven't got them installed. I was wondering about trying to use cording instead of replacing the tubing. It sounds like maybe I should just head out and buy Velco.