Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   F1 F1 F1 -- Can You Tell She is a Novice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/f1-f1-f1-can-you-tell-she-novice-t124850.html)

kebs 05-22-2011 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I've found my above all others absolute favorite fabric.(Michael Miller's French Journal Collection in yellow) IMO it looks like an all over focal point type fabric that would look best with large rectangular shaped blocks.

HOWEVER besides being petrified of ruining the fabric -- How do I design a quilt around this type of fabric?
How do I calculate the amount of this fabric I will need to get a pleasing configuration of the blocks? (probably king sz coverlet) I’ve tried using the fabric guides for calculating the fabric needed with varying results. I think it is because of the size I want the feature blocks.
If I get those 2 questions figured out then comes the biggy !!? How do you match the colors of the fabrics you see on the internet with the colors in fabric? I’ve noticed that the same fabrics will look a shade darker or lighter depending on the site.

Any suggestions for the petrified novice are very much appreciated.

PaperPrincess 05-22-2011 04:56 AM

Other folks will chime in with yardage and pattern suggestions, but I would not try and match colors on the internet! I would purchase the feature fabric on line, then take it to a fabric shop to match it up. The only exception would be if you buy coordinating fabrics from the same line. Cameras and monitors can distort the colors.

lynndianne 05-22-2011 04:57 AM

Oh, that is soooo beautiful. I'd like to have 5 yards to wrap around me. I'm also petrified of ruining fabric. I'll keep checking back to see what others (people who know what they are doing) suggest.
What part of Fla? I was born there.

Lynn :roll:

sueisallaboutquilts 05-22-2011 05:08 AM

Beautiful fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DogHouseMom 05-22-2011 05:09 AM

Most (all?) of the big fabric companies have free download patterns. Start your search with Michael Miller as they may have one using fabric from the line you selected. I saw more than a few (French Post) that uses large blocks of focus fabric and looks easy to enlarge as you just continue to duplicate the pattern longer and wider.

Download the pattern, look at it and decide if it will be easy to enlarge. If so, multiply the dimensions to the new size you want then use the same equation to increase your fabric purchase - and buy extra :)

I wouldn't attempt to match colors online. Either purchase fabric from the same collection and colorway as your focus fabric or purchase the focus fabric then take it to your LQS to buy the other fabric.

bluteddi 05-22-2011 05:40 AM

I agree with everyone above.... NEVER try to color match online. It's a beautiful piece of fabric

kebs 05-22-2011 06:35 AM

DogHouseMom
Thanks. Will definitely check out Michael Miller, appreciate the advice.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Most (all?) of the big fabric companies have free download patterns. Start your search with Michael Miller as they may have one using fabric from the line you selected. I saw more than a few (French Post) that uses large blocks of focus fabric and looks easy to enlarge as you just continue to duplicate the pattern longer and wider.

Download the pattern, look at it and decide if it will be easy to enlarge. If so, multiply the dimensions to the new size you want then use the same equation to increase your fabric purchase - and buy extra :)

I wouldn't attempt to match colors online. Either purchase fabric from the same collection and colorway as your focus fabric or purchase the focus fabric then take it to your LQS to buy the other fabric.

kebs 05-22-2011 06:38 AM

lynndianne
I live in the So. Florida swamp.

Unforturnately fabric shops are disappearing rapidly. A 50 mile drive for fab is a little out of my budget.