Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric by the Bolt Wholesale Pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-bolt-wholesale-pricing-t215821.html)

Sandygirl 03-09-2013 02:37 PM

Pumpkin Patch Quilter,

I am fully aware of that. I have been in retail for years. Wholesale side as well as a retailer. Been on both teams. ;)

Sandy

KarenR 03-09-2013 02:59 PM

Maybe this is her dream to open up a shop. Sometimes collecting information and making sound choices is the best way to go.

If she is in education- maybe she is looking for a career that will provide for her family. Some places do not pay their teachers very much.

quiltin chris 03-09-2013 04:33 PM

I wasn't aware we were not allowed to give out information on this board. I love all the camaradie of helping each other.
After all, we are all members because we LOVE fabric & quilting. Right?

k8edu 03-09-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris (Post 5917257)
I wasn't aware we were not allowed to give out information on this board. I love all the camaradie of helping each other.
After all, we are all members because we LOVE fabric & quilting. Right?

Well said Chris! I came across this site yesterday in my search for bolt pricing and saw that there was a wealth of information floating around and likely to be at least a few people willing to help a newbie like me! I appreciate those who did! It was a last minute thing as I walked out my door for a weekend with my sisters. Not that I need to explain myself, but I had a legitimate reason for asking.

I have 2 sisters, we're in our late 20's and early 30's. We all sew, we're all crafty, and come from an extremely artsy/creative family (mostly educators, except for me, I'm the black sheep in medical sales). One of my sisters has 2 children, for which she has a hard time finding cool, modern clothes, blankets, burp cloths, etc. We've always gone to craft shows and said, "we should do this" so....we finally are. Our generation isn't interested in the things at craft shows that were cool in 1992. We want colorful, bright, polka dots, chevron, modern, but still cute. We are doing a few shows to test the waters and may go online, but we're starting at the local level first. We are spending the weekend, piecing together our business plan and making decisions. We are still in the process of getting our tax ID (SO a pain in the butt, btw. If anyone out there can help us with tax ID's, LLC's vs. partnerships, etc., preferably in Pennsylvania, we will love you forever!). With that being said, of course Riley Blake can't discuss pricing with us until we have that done. See the catch-22 there? Being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted to be as accurate as I could as I was laying the numbers out for the sisters. So....there you go. NOW you know me, you know my story, probably more than you ever wanted to know, and hopefully provided you with a legitimate reason for why I was asking. Thank you again to those who helped. I am the quilter of the group and I've seen some interesting posts as I was skimming the site. I look forward to reading more when I have some spare time!

Cheers!
Katie ☺

mom-6 03-10-2013 02:08 AM

Thanks for your story as well as the valuable information others have provided. It helps all of us to get a better picture of what goes into our favorite LQS providing us with the fabrics we love so much!

Sandygirl 03-10-2013 03:02 AM

Katie,

Perhaps this is premature but one idea for you is to consider attending a Quilt Market when the time makes sense for you in your planning. You can research when and where the shows are on this site. http://quilts.com/home/index.php

Market is a great way to glean lots of info for your new business adventure.

Fab Shop News is a great magazine for fabric retailers.

Good luck!
Sandy

Z 03-10-2013 03:04 AM

When you need help with setting up your business, look up the Small Business Administration in your local phone book.
They have free classes in every phase of getting started and continuing.

helou 03-10-2013 03:36 AM

Welcome aboard from Quebec City, Canada and good luck with your project.

Nilla 03-10-2013 05:06 AM

I just noticed you are from Maryland and you mentioned PA in one of your posts. May I ask where you are thinking about having a shop since I too am from MD? There can never be too many quilt shops in an area!

yorkie luv 03-10-2013 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5916128)
Sandy, it's all information that is available easily on the internet. It's no secret the minimums or cost of wholesale. No worries. ;) Setting up a business is much more than buying a few bolts of fabric.

I agree, this is not top secret info. What harm can she do with it. Vendors won't give her wholesale prices unless she has a business ID#.