Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric by the Bolt Wholesale Pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-bolt-wholesale-pricing-t215821.html)

ro 03-10-2013 02:31 PM

i would think that if you are looking to start a wholesale business or any business for that matter you would know exactly what you are getting yourself into by asking professional in whatever the business venture is. Including looking into how much "pricing by the bolt" might be. i personally don't care if she posted once or a million times. so good luck!

Sandygirl 03-10-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5919354)
And yet without that information, or at least a very educated guess, there is no way to write an intelligent business plan and without a business plan the chances of developing a successful business are greatly reduced.

The OP was merely seeking cost information from one source, the QB membership. If you didn't wish to volunteer the information requested, no one was forcing you to. You could easily have just kept silent. There was no reason to question her motives, let alone her character.

I have already apologized. I stand corrected.
Sandy

k8edu 03-10-2013 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla (Post 5918212)
I just noticed you are from Maryland and you mentioned PA in one of your posts. May I ask where you are thinking about having a shop since I too am from MD? There can never be too many quilt shops in an area!

No, I'm not opening a shop in MD, but that's a great thought! Haha, I would be in heaven. I live in MD, but my sisters are both in Pittsburgh, so that's where we will be doing shows, at least for now. I wish we had more fabric stores in this area. There's a good one in southern MD, and one in Annapolis that I go to the most.

Mcflower 03-15-2013 05:16 PM

First of all, k8edu, I want to wish you luck with your new endeavor. Secondly, I have read this Board daily since October and have NEVER heard such negativity and "snarkiness" toward someone trying to get information and learn. It's a shame that some people, like ro, need to talk down to others. I truly don't believe that you need to know how much fabric is on a bolt to be a quilter. Shame on you, ro! k8edu, please don't judge this Board by what you've seen here today.....there are MANY good things here too.

quiltin-nannie 03-15-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ro (Post 5918306)
i would think if you're setting up a business and getting permits/licenses, then you should know how many yards of fabric are on a bolt. anyone that's a quilter knows how much is on a bolt.

Sorry, not everyone. I have been quilting for more than 25 years and never knew that. Guess there was never a reason I needed to.

aunt eunice 03-16-2013 09:34 AM

I just received my business license and am set up as sole proprietor and will only work out of my home. My situation is different as I do not have any employees or partners. My accountant said there was no reason for me to do LLC or Corp for a one person business.
I was not successful finding out information locally on setting up a business so I started my own research and this is what I have so far:

Marshall Dry Goods 888-744-8277 has good basic supplies. I've ordered from them before but not using a wholesale account. The person to ask for there is Randy. Yardage on their bolts differ based on the fabric line.

Checker Distributors sells the quilt shop fabrics. Your first order is a minimum of $300.00. Each order thereafter is $150.00 with free freight. The requirement is spending a minimum of $1200.00 with each year (anniversary of first order). Yardage also differs based on the fabric line and type.

Linda's Electric Quilters: for specialty threads and notions: 800-890-2748. I've sent my application to them. They verify my license number with the Revenue authorities and will let me know the terms thereafter.

Still have many more shops on my list to research.

justflyingin 03-16-2013 01:56 PM

Actually, I'm glad you asked. I've been wondering the same thing...for years.

justflyingin 03-16-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ro (Post 5918306)
i would think if you're setting up a business and getting permits/licenses, then you should know how many yards of fabric are on a bolt. anyone that's a quilter knows how much is on a bolt.

I didn't know exactly how much is on a bolt. I've never bought a whole bolt of fabric before, so never needed to know. I'm 51 and have been sewing since I was 12 or so.