Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric choices - input needed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-choices-input-needed-t249402.html)

auntpiggylpn 07-02-2014 08:59 AM

Fabric choices - input needed!!

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to make quilts for our neighbors who are moving; we are very sad :thumbdown: . I want to make the Disappearing Hourglass quilt (using Tartan's tutorial of course! ) for the husband and am hoping to pull from my stash. What do you think of these 3 batiks together? I currently have them laying on a natural muslin but thinking I should get more of an off white (less yellow) fabric for the background. Your input is very much appreciated!!

Doggramma 07-02-2014 09:01 AM

Those will make a nice muted quilt. Definitely, though, the background needs to not be yellowish.

bearisgray 07-02-2014 09:21 AM

Sorry - my first impression was drab and/or muddy.
The side fabrics DO go together with the center piece, but I don't like the side fabrics with each other.

I think the first two on the left are okay just by themselves.
And the middle one with the right one by themselves are tolerable.

The three of them together don't do much for me.

But it is YOUR quilt and YOUR neighbors. Maybe my monitor has drabbed the colors down a lot.

Pennyhal 07-02-2014 09:30 AM

The two on the left both have the blue/brown in them. The fabric on the right has no blue or brown, but it really isn't strong enough either to be a contrast to the blues/browns. You might try auditioning other fabrics for the one on the right so you have a stronger light/medium/dark.

Jeanne S 07-02-2014 09:34 AM

I like the one on the left and the middle one. Not to sure about the one on the right. From my screen it looks like a brownish/dusty rose, and am not seeing it fitting with the other two. But my screen color may be off. It is really hard to loose good neighbors! Hope you get some great new ones.

auntpiggylpn 07-02-2014 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the fabrics outside and photographed them in natural sunlight. I'm starting to rethink the one on the right also

I am going for muted. The neighbor is 82 yo retired minister and his wife's color palate (and the home decor) is pink, pink, pink, emerald green and more pink! In fact the realtor made her put away most of her pillows, throws, floral arangements and other decor as he felt the house wouldn't show well with the deluge of out dated colors.

sahm4605 07-02-2014 09:50 AM

I think pick different fabric and send me those. I like the right one the best but think they go well.

Jeanne S 07-02-2014 10:50 AM

Even in the outside light the one on the right just doesn't fit (to my eye)--it is too reddish. To complement the other two seems like you need navy or chocolate brown.

bearisgray 07-02-2014 10:53 AM

Or an intense flash of the blue?

Terri D. 07-02-2014 10:57 AM

My first impression was pretty fabrics but the scale of the prints is too similar.