Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Motion device for Viking Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-motion-device-viking-machines-t29459.html)

Linda - K. 11-28-2009 02:27 PM

I was wondering if any of you with Viking machines have this item. It's supposed to move the quilt easily so you can quilt nicely and evenly. I have a Quilt Designer and would like to get this but it's $149 (on sale at my machine store). Before I plunk down that kind of money I was wondering if any of you have this and was it worth the money. I think that this or another model of this motion thing can also be used on Phaff machines.

muffins 11-28-2009 05:15 PM

Is it a walking foot?

judee0624 11-28-2009 06:35 PM

I heard about this at a Party for Patrick that I went to. We were all jealous. It seems like a good deal. Have you tried it at the shop? It should be returnable if you don't like it.

judee

kluedesigns 11-28-2009 09:33 PM

in theory its great, in reality it doesn't work.

the device works best with small quilts.

i tested it at our LQS and used their sample quilt which was about 24 inches square and it worked great.

i went back the next day with a "typical" size quilt that i make - it was about 48 inches square - needless to say, it was terrible.

the drag was even worse that had i just quilted the quilt on my expansion table.

the drag is from the table, then there's drag from the mover - it was awful.

i spent 2 hours trying to make this thing work and walked right out the door thrilled that i didn't buy it the day before.

moral of the story, try the mover with "your typical" size quilt and see if it works for you.

Linda - K. 11-28-2009 11:32 PM

Thanks to all for your help. I guess I won't be spending the money on it.
I had seen a demonstration at a shop but I never really had a chance to try it myself. I didn't realize it would "drag" so, which doesn't sound good. The shop also used a very small piece of quilt to demonstrate it and it seemed wonderful.

kluedesigns 11-29-2009 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Linda - K.
Thanks to all for your help. I guess I won't be spending the money on it.
I had seen a demonstration at a shop but I never really had a chance to try it myself. I didn't realize it would "drag" so, which doesn't sound good. The shop also used a very small piece of quilt to demonstrate it and it seemed wonderful.

thats why i went back with something large - its very easy to quilt 24 inches square and i'm sure thats why its always shown doing something small.

Rose Marie 11-29-2009 08:47 AM

Thanks kluedesigns I needed to hear that.
I was thinking it would be a problem for larger sizes. Thanks for testing it for us all.

thimblebug6000 11-29-2009 09:39 AM

Not sure about the price of that one....the Fabric Mover that I've tried was on sale for $1199 for my Husgvarna, it had a plug in to help you keep the stitch sizes perfect. The actual opening on the plate was only about 6 x 8" so you could just do that one small place and then stop & reposition the whole unit. I agree it's great for small projects but would find that tedious on a larger quilt.

Linda - K. 11-29-2009 11:31 AM

Thimblebug, my Viking Quilt Designer won't take the one with the stitch regulator so I have to go with what the saleswoman called the regular one. I bought my QD in '03 so it doesn't even use the embroidery module that came out shortly after I bought mine. I'm always having that happen to me--buy something and shortly after that a better model comes out!! Story of my life.