Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Mover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-mover-t16063.html)

Rose Marie 02-01-2009 09:16 AM

Does anyone have one of these?
They used to be expensive but the price is coming down and they make a larger size now.
I worry about doing a large quilt with one.
What kind of problems do you have with it?

littlehud 02-01-2009 09:18 AM

What is a fabric mover. I have all kinds of pictures in my head (like a front loader to move my stash ) but I bet I'm not right. :-) :-) :-)

Rose Marie 02-01-2009 09:25 AM

It is a metal stand that attaches to your machine.
It moves the fabric under the needle for free motion quilting.
You actually move the frame around as you quilt in a square cutout.
Hard to explain.

quilterj 02-01-2009 12:42 PM

Rose Marie,
Do you have a picture of one of these?

Shelley 02-01-2009 03:44 PM

Is this something like a Flynn Frame, ala John Flynn??

eparys 02-01-2009 03:55 PM

Rose Marie -

Are you asking about the Viking and/or Pfaff stitch regulator and "table"?

Although I do not have one personally, I worked at Viking Shop inside a JoAnns for almost two years and we had them on the floor. I did a lot of small stuff for the shop on it (Demos and samples) and really liked it. I am not sure you could do a queen size quilt on it but many of our customers did baby quilts and projects on it and liked them.

Extreme Quilter 02-02-2009 06:54 AM

Betty, I'm glad you clarified that. I have hesitated to puchase a fabric mover for my Viking because the limited range and the inconvenience of repositioning on larger quilts. Now I'm sure I won't bother to buy one as most of my quilts are larger than crib size.

Rose Marie 02-02-2009 08:45 AM

Yes, thank you for the info.
No I have a Flynn frame and it is not a good investment. OK for a baby quilt but almost imposible for a large quilt and would take up as much room as a full size quilting machine.

Nita 02-04-2009 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Does anyone have one of these?
They used to be expensive but the price is coming down and they make a larger size now.
I worry about doing a large quilt with one.
What kind of problems do you have with it?

Funny that you should ask: I have a Pfaff Fab-U-motion Fabric Mover with Stitch Regulator. It cost $1299 when I purchased it a year ago in Feb 2008. Fortunately, I recived a 25% club discount, bringing the price down to $1053 for me. I bought it because I know a few women in my quilt guild who use it and they just LOVE it; They say it takes all the shoulder strain out of free motion quilting. Mine came with a DVD that makes it look so gosh darn easy and what the demonstrator shows with it is absolutely amazing quilting. Unfortunately, I can't seem to "get my head around" the floating window concept (there is an 8" square open area that glides ...... hard to explain). I guess I'm learning challenged or something.

To make a long story short, I'm willing to sell mine for half price. If anyone is interested, PM me. Eventually I will get around to posting this in the Classified Ad section. Nita

Rose Marie 02-04-2009 06:51 AM

Wow thats alot.
The reason I asked about it to begin with is that at the quilt show they were selling the larger hole ones for $450.
They must be a big flop to come down that much.