Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric storage...plastic bins or folded on the shelf? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-plastic-bins-folded-shelf-t215945.html)

Nammie to 7 03-11-2013 06:45 PM

You're right about the fading. You should use whatever works best for you and what you have room for. I personally like mine in drawers or tubs because it would always be a mess if not contained. I'm always pulling out a piece for one reason or another. I have one day a week that I "refile" what I've taken out.

Rose Bagwell 03-11-2013 07:46 PM

I have mine on a shelf in the closet. I do keep some , special , Christmas , etc, in special bins.

QM 03-11-2013 07:49 PM

If you live in a humid climate, for sure use a dessicant. I keep my fabrics in plastic drawers both to keep things organized and to keep them from light.

wordpaintervs 03-12-2013 10:29 AM

I use clear plastic so I can find what I want more easily

Gladys 03-12-2013 10:58 AM

I use both!

noveltyjunkie 03-13-2013 12:53 AM

I refuse to admit that they will be in my stash long enough to fade. Therefore it is not an issue :-)

plainpat 03-13-2013 02:43 AM

Mine is stored on shelves in the basement,so no light to worry about.Most stored by color,some by type,orientals,batiks etc.I keep pre cuts & scraps in plastic tubs. Current project is in a tub or basket,according to size.That just leaves books/mags,manuals,sewing notions,mats,cutters etc.:D

ghostrider 03-15-2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5922282)
I like the idea of the bankers boxes for some of the fabric as it makes them a bit lighter to lift. I think I might be damaging my internal organs lifting all of those totes.
Carole

Just so you know, banker's boxes are made of cardboard and cardboard is extremely acidic. Direct contact has the potential to stain fabric over time. You may want to think about lining the boxes with Contact paper before storing fabric in them.

x7lillies 03-15-2013 09:48 AM

Hi Carole!

I sort my fabric by color family and size, into clear plastic bags. Then the bags go into a set of utility drawers (plastic, not sure of the brand). Strings go all together into one bag. Anything less than a fat quarter gets grouped by color family in separate bags, and anything fat quarter or larger gets grouped by color family and put in separate bags as well. I do the same for my batting (little pieces, medium pieces, and large cuts). Top drawer goes to strings and small scraps, middle drawer goes to "full-sized" fabrics, and bottom drawer goes to batting.

They're organized so I can see what I have when I open the drawer, but they're safe from any bugs in the plastic and safe from the light in the drawers. Works for me!

Boston1954 03-15-2013 09:54 AM

Clear plastic boxes for me. I started out with colored ones. Pretty, but every time I wanted something, I had to search every box. Yuck. Now I can see what is there. Very nice.