Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-t3199.html)

quilterj 11-17-2007 09:21 PM

when you see a fabric that really catches your eye about how much of it do you buy? do you get just a yard or maybe enough so that you might make more than one quilt? i have boughten about 1-2 yards and sometimes i think i feel i should buy more. i am new and just started buying since last christmas.

jeanette

Yvonne 11-17-2007 10:18 PM

Jeanette,
It always depends on a few things.
1. how much I like the fabric
2. how rich I'm feeling at the moment :wink:
3. how much I NEED it!:wink::wink::wink:

I usually try for at least one yard. If it's a focus fabric I'll often go for at least two yards. I've run out of the 'perfect' fabric a few times and when you go back the fabric is never there (that's if you can remember where you bought it!)
I realized I was not buying un-focus fabrics (solids) so that has been my focus lately! I'm loving the tone-on-tone fabrics that are out there. Beautiful. Oh, dear. I'm feeling another shopping spree coming on! :lol:

Just try to not break the bank, Jeanette! :mrgreen:

Rebecca Chambley 11-18-2007 03:17 AM

My magic number is 4 yds. On the fabrics that I see and love. And it hasn't failed me to date.

Knot Sew 11-18-2007 07:04 AM

I have bought a lot of half yards.........not quite enough , only in the scrap quilts..........now I have been buying three yards of average priced fabric...........I guess you have to figure what you want to do with it :D

mimisharon 11-18-2007 07:25 AM

Three is my number IF it's something I really want to use as a focus, otherwise usually a half to a yard. Sometimes I've had to go back to buy more but not often. LOL

Course, you know building the stash up after a particularly busy sewing time it may take a little more... :D

patricej 11-18-2007 07:30 AM

i've been collecting fat quarters lately, too, but ... honestly ... i can't wrap my brain around them. i have no idea what i'll do with them. :roll:

if it's expensive, i buy one yard more than the design calls for. (because i don't make little errors ... i make BIG mistakes. since i try to buy from clearance sales, i don't dare take a chance they'll have more if i have to go back. :shock: ) the leftovers can get set aside as "stash" and/or swapped, shared, or given as gifts to fellow quilters.

if it's reasonably priced, and i like it enough to think i might want to use it again, i'll buy 3 or 4 more than the design calls for. (if i'm buying just because i like it, i get at least 3.)

it it's an awesome bargain and i think it'll make a nice backing, too, i get 6 or more.

when something i can afford grabs me by the shoulders and demands it ... i've been known to buy every square inch in stock. (yep. i've got that bad a case of Stashitis. :shock: )

when i'm broke between paychecks ... i just keep movin' and cry. (that's what i get for lookin' in the first place!) :cry: :lol:

Moonpi 11-18-2007 07:49 AM

A yard is my standard if the price is right, and there is a lot available. If the bolt looks nearly gone, I will get whatever is left. Am I the only one who has noticed you don't get a discount for bolt ends anymore?

Large pieces for quilt backs wait for sales, then I get extra to sprinkle in the top.

Rebecca Chambley 11-18-2007 08:53 AM

Yes, I noticed it, NO price cut for the ends of a bolt, And I'm " mean," since they don't do that anymore. I ask (How much is left on this end bolt?) I'll take all but a quarter, 1/4, Thats my way of fighting back,

ceannastahr 11-18-2007 09:39 AM

I usualy buy 3 yds if I like it that much i know I'm going to want more If I can afford will buy more. Our Joanns still give a discount on the reminder of the bolt. I was there the other day ask what was left on bolt then took the whole yrdage and got left over for 75% off.