Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fallowing directions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fallowing-directions-t118636.html)

ShirlinAZ 04-25-2011 06:29 AM

I wait until I don't know what to do next, then I have to find where I am in the instructions and read that part.

saf 04-25-2011 07:32 AM

Flat pack furniture was obviously made just for us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dunster 04-25-2011 08:01 AM

If I buy a book or pattern, it's because I want to learn how to do something. If I can figure it out on my own, why buy the pattern? So yes, I read it, every word, and if there's a new technique that I haven't tried, then I try it, at least for that item. How can you learn new things otherwise? Often the designer has tried various methods for making something and has settled on what works best. I want to profit from her research, and her mistakes.

craftiladi 04-25-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by pjemark
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tend to just follow the picture. I'm fairly new-so I also tend to pick out the simpler quilts.

you mean I am not the only one? I get so lost trying to follow a pattern, usually end up feeling stupid....lol

ckcowl 04-25-2011 08:21 AM

if i am trying a new block i have never made before i do a practice block according to the instructions- and see how it comes out- if i like it and it seems to make sense- i make more that way- if it does not go together well- or i know an easier way i may change my technique for the next one....but if i have instructions i use them- at least the first time. i hate wasting fabric so i do not tend to experiment until i see how it goes together-as prescribed.

Krystyna 04-25-2011 08:50 AM

After reading many, many posts on this board and watching countless videos, I am just now learning the wisdom of following directions. I am a "just do it" sort of gal and really have a hard time with directions and precision. But, I'm ready to give it a try.

QuiltE 04-25-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if i am trying a new block i have never made before i do a practice block according to the instructions- and see how it comes out- if i like it and it seems to make sense- i make more that way- if it does not go together well- or i know an easier way i may change my technique for the next one....but if i have instructions i use them- at least the first time. i hate wasting fabric so i do not tend to experiment until i see how it goes together-as prescribed.

I don't like to waste fabric either ... So what I do when testing a block or pattern, is I keep a few fabrics just for that. I keep the test runs and my plan is that someday they will all go together as a collage of sorts. Or I can raid them as the starting point for making mug rugs, totes/bags, or whatever!!

This way I feel as though the test ones have a reason and a purpose ... and I haven't cut into the fabric planned for a project. Or sometimes ... I just want to try a block or two, just to see what it's like!

amma 04-25-2011 09:25 AM

It depends on my mood at the time on how much I read and follow...
Some days I am just more adventurous :D:D:D

nycquilter 04-25-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
If all else fails...read the directions!

My father had a small sticker with this saying tacked to the bathroom mirror while I was growing up!

Kat Sews 04-25-2011 10:04 AM

Wow, I didn't know they made instructions.