Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fast coaster or table runner ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fast-coaster-table-runner-ideas-t71652.html)

mpeters1200 10-22-2010 11:00 AM

Every year, my three boys and I make these little snowman paperweights for their teachers for Christmas. They go to the same elementary school and now the middle one and the little one have teachers that already got them from us.

The boys have asked if we can make something different. I don't really know what. I have 2 baby quilts for my oldest son's teachers that I need to make once I find out they've had their bundles of joy and we can get two snowmen made to different teachers this year.

Does anyone either have an idea, or is there a free (or cheap) pattern out there somewhere for either a quick and small table runner or a set of coasters? I'm just trying to think of ideas. I don't want anything too complex because my boys make them with me and they like doing the work.

I was thinking placemats too, but the boys want to give their teachers something they'll use at school. I'm not so sure placemats is the best idea. What do you guys think?

Quiltforme 10-22-2010 11:02 AM

Oh I just recevievd the new quilters world magazine and they had a reigndeer placemat using the kids hands for the anteler and one foot as the head. it is soo cute and very easy to make!!! www.quiltersworld.com

Maggiemay 10-22-2010 11:38 AM

Do a search up above for Criss Cross coasters. One of the postings has a link with directions. These are fast & easy & are great gifts.

mpeters1200 10-22-2010 12:07 PM

I bookmarked the link to the coasters. Those look great and my boys can participate! I'm thinking about making one matching placemat they can just decorate their desk with.

Is quilt world one of those that's sold in stores? I'm heading out to go buy some more rotary blades in a little while...I'll try and get the magazine while I'm out.

Thank you both so much! These are great ideas AND I have a ton of Christmas fabric left over from my stuffed ornaments last year.

annette1952 10-22-2010 12:10 PM

Yes I was going to say the Criss Cross Coasters too. I'm making some now & they are so easy & quick.

dlheald 10-22-2010 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This 10 Minute Tabletopper is so quick and easy. The pattern is being given away by local quilt shops. Enjoy.

craftybear 10-22-2010 12:58 PM

thanks for the download link, please add this to the link section so others can see it

Originally Posted by dlheald
This 10 Minute Tabletopper is so quick and easy. The pattern is being given away by local quilt shops. Enjoy.

np3 10-22-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dlheald

Cute!

wolfkitty 10-22-2010 02:20 PM

Tube quilting is also a quick way to make a table runner, although not a fast as the 10 minute block.

dotcomdtcm 10-22-2010 02:26 PM

I just saw a cute mug holder in a Better Homes & Garden Quilts & more magazine, It's like the paper one you get at Starbucks but it is quilted. The sample has cups appliqued on it. It is flat & closes w a button & pony tail elastic. Seems like a cute teachers' gift. They call it a coffee cup cozy. Also a great stocking stuffer.