Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat quarters question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarters-question-t10388.html)

Knot Sew 08-21-2008 10:56 AM

I'm with you, most people can't guess the price unless you like telling them :wink:

racnquilter 08-21-2008 12:21 PM

I too have "seen" some fabric snobs that "must" buy $8/$9 a yard fabric to make their quilts. I personally can't afford that, therefore, I lovingly/laughingly call myself a "fabric snob" because I can't justify spending $60/$70/$80 or more on fabric for just one quilt. I would pretty much be limited to probably one quilt a year at those prices.

Use what you like and what you can afford.

bearisgray 08-21-2008 02:03 PM

As you may have read already, there are also the pre-washers and not pre-washers.

If you are relatively new to quilting, and you have a limited budget - start with lap quilts. There is a smaller investment - and you can learn as you go.

One of the ladies in my group is always trying some new technique with the baby quilts she makes for her many nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grand-nephews.

I look at the fabrics I have in my stash - about 20 years worth - and I'm still happy with some of my choices - and there are some fabrics in there that wouldn't even make good rags.

As many of the other posters have said - it's a learn as you go process. But I can understand the desire to not reinvent the wheel - no need to make the same mistakes others have!

abacus 08-22-2008 11:02 AM

KO - I so fully agree with you. The things that are stored away don't mean anything, because they were never used. The things you remember (and cherish) are the particular bowl that Mom always put the gravy in, or the old beat up silverware that you remember using to dig in the dirt.

My other personal opinion is about labels. So much is made today about putting a label on your quilt. If a quilt I have made is pretty to look at, and keeps someone warm - and I would hope makes them happy - then the quilt has done its job. I'm not looking for a monument to me. I want it to be used up - not kept in a cedar chest. If you use it, and take reasonable care of it, I will make you another if that one wears out.

Just my thoughts.

bearisgray 08-22-2008 11:24 AM

I bought several fat quarter sets from Jo-Anns a few years ago.

Most of the pieces weren't even a full 18 inches long.

I much prefer to buy off the bolt than buying fat quarters from JoAnns.

Some vendors seem to have rulers that measure shorter than mine do.

sspingler 08-22-2008 12:09 PM

I buy a lot of fat quarters from Joann's however, they have started adding in a cheaper quality fat quarter. The closing sticker is white with black lettering. Since I do primarily scrappy quilts, and the pieces are fairly small, I use them. Joann's does carry good quality fabrics. Just try to stay away from the $2 fabrics from Walmart.

eweandme 08-22-2008 12:58 PM

Again thank you all for your opinions!!
Debbie... I took your advise and bought some nice embroidery thread using my 40% coupon from Hobby Lobby and while was there I looked at the fabric and they just started carrying fat quarters they cut themselves from some of their better fabric and are selling the solids for .75 and the printed fabric for 1.00.
Now I just need to finish a quilt, I have about 4 started and all are in different phases :)

LogCabinLady 08-26-2008 08:09 AM

This is my first day to post on this board. I have read it for a long time and really enjoyed learning from each of you. I am fairly new to quilting quilts. I have made a lot of wall hangings and love that, but I just made my first quilt for a granddaughter that graduated from high school. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture. I am in the process of making three more for next year's graduations. I am going to be busy. We have 21 grandchildren from ages 20 to 4.

The quilt I am making now requires 4 inch squares with a triangle in two of the opposite corners (I will take a picture soon). Since I wanted all of the squares to be a different fabric, I have been buying cut squares from ebay. I have also bought a lot of fat quarters. I find the fabrics to be very nice and the prices are less than in the store. I set in my mind what I am willing to pay, with shipping added, and stay at that maximum. I am very pleased with my purchases and the fat quarters are lower than even 99cents a piece.

I look forward to contiuning to learn from each of you and will post a picture of what I am doing so you can critique them for my.
Thanks. :D

sspingler 08-26-2008 08:32 AM

Welcome to the board Logcabin.
I think the name of the quilt you are referring to is Split 9 Patch. Which makes awesome quilts.

Quilting Aggi 08-26-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by sspingler
Welcome to the board Logcabin.
I think the name of the quilt you are referring to is Split 9 Patch. Which makes awesome quilts.

I just read about that pattern in another thread. Someone also added the link to the Quilter's Cache for that pattern.. I couldn't resist but to print it off. It would make a great pattern to use up some of my scrap fabrics!!!