Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-free-motion-quilting-class-craftsy-another-source-t222830.html)

Dee Dee 06-02-2013 01:05 PM

Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source

So far, my fave Free Motion quilting class from Craftsy is "Beyond Basic Machine quilting." Have any of you taken "Design it, Quilt it," or Machine Quilting the Home Sweet Home Quilt," which is new? If so, do you like it? Or, another one?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-02-2013 01:20 PM

I did Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns. It was OK. I've been looking at Beyond Basic Machine Quilting but have not signed up. Maybe your recommendation will get me there.

TerryQuilter 06-02-2013 01:36 PM

I did "Design it, Quilt it" and really liked it. Learned a lot too.

Dee Dee 06-02-2013 02:06 PM

I took the Machine Quilting Class by Wendy Butler Berns and would say it is okay too. I really liked Beyond Basic Machine quilting much better.

Dee Dee 06-02-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter (Post 6099882)
I did "Design it, Quilt it" and really liked it. Learned a lot too.

Thanks Terry, I looked at the class samples for "Design it, Quilt It," and they were gorgeous! But, looked a little complicated. Are they difficult. Thought it interesting that she uses templates and others do not.

hopetoquilt 06-02-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6099841)
I did Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns. It was OK. I've been looking at Beyond Basic Machine Quilting but have not signed up. Maybe your recommendation will get me there.

I am generally not a negative person but IMHO, the Wendy butler burns class was a complete waste of money. I hated it. I have not even finished it. I am generally not critical of another's FMQ skills but if I am paying to learn, I think the teachers FMQ skills should be much better. I also don't think very much planning went into her class. She is verbose unnecessarily and it takes forever to get through the class.

On a more positive note, the Angela waters class is awesome. I also own one of her books. The craftsy class is well planned and provides great examples of beautiful quilting. I was impressed.

dunster 06-02-2013 03:44 PM

I liked Angela Waters' class, and also Kimmy Bruner's class, Machine Quilting with Templates. There were complaints from some in each class who felt that too much of the lessons were filmed using a longarm. Both classes had something to offer for those who were using a domestic machine for quilting, but they really were more helpful for those of us using a longarm. I think that's something to consider when signing up for a class, although Craftsy's money-back policy will protect you if you are unhappy with any class.

Dee Dee 06-02-2013 03:47 PM

Was the Angela Water's class mostly for long arm quilters, or did it apply equally as well do domestic sewing machines as well? Was it advanced?

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 6100063)
I am generally not a negative person but IMHO, the Wendy butler burns class was a complete waste of money. I hated it. I have not even finished it. I am generally not critical of another's FMQ skills but if I am paying to learn, I think the teachers FMQ skills should be much better. I also don't think very much planning went into her class. She is verbose unnecessarily and it takes forever to get through the class.

On a more positive note, the Angela waters class is awesome. I also own one of her books. The craftsy class is well planned and provides great examples of beautiful quilting. I was impressed.

Dee Dee 06-02-2013 03:54 PM

Thanks Dunster. When I saw the preview of Angela Water's class and she was using a longarm, I thought those with a longarm might benefit the most. She certainly is a talented quilter and well-known teacher and author.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6100080)
I liked Angela Waters' class, and also Kimmy Bruner's class, Machine Quilting with Templates. There were complaints from some in each class who felt that too much of the lessons were filmed using a longarm. Both classes had something to offer for those who were using a domestic machine for quilting, but they really were more helpful for those of us using a longarm. I think that's something to consider when signing up for a class, although Craftsy's money-back policy will protect you if you are unhappy with any class.

wishfulthinking 06-02-2013 04:33 PM

I'd really like to see a class where the instructor actually quilts a bed size quilt on a regular domestic sewing machine. I think that would help me most.