Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite Quilt Books??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-quilt-books-t42780.html)

no1jan 04-15-2010 04:01 AM

As a new quilter I am interested in learning as much as I can about quilting.

What are your favorite quilt books and why?

What in particular did you learn from the book?

Vivian Ketron 04-15-2010 08:25 AM

My favorite quilt book is 101 Fabulous Rotary-Cut Quilts. I have made so many quilt out of it. It has all kinds of good info in it and the patterns have very good instructions. It has a spool of thread at the top of the pattern to let you know if the pattern is for a beginner, intermediate and advanced quilter. It is by Judy Hopkins and Nancy J Martin.I love it.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-15-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vivian Ketron
My favorite quilt book is 101 Fabulous Rotary-Cut Quilts. I have made so many quilt out of it. It has all kinds of good info in it and the patterns have very good instructions. It has a spool of thread at the top of the pattern to let you know if the patter is brgimmer, intermediate,and advanced. it is by Judy Hopkins and Nancy J Martin.I love it.

good book

laadw 04-15-2010 11:41 AM

Go to the library and start checking out quilting books. This is my favorite way to learn about new patterns. I can check our as many as I like and then if I really want to own one I then buy it.

Pam 04-15-2010 02:34 PM

I agree, go to the library, you are going to need your money for fabric!

PurpleBecca 04-15-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
I agree, go to the library, you are going to need your money for fabric!

I like that!!

Dont forget when you find a good book - look for it second hand on Amazon - (or even new they are very reasonable) I just picked up a copy of Quilts! Quilts! Quilts (2nd edition) for £10 for my husband - my friend just paid £25 for it!!!

I also like the book 'quick quilts to make in a weekend' (but I got my copy second hand for £4!!!) Not sure I would pay a fortune for it. Because the quilts are QUICK they are simple and suitable for beginners. My Avatar quilt came from that book.

Our local guild has a library you can borrow from too. Good Idea I think!

Joanie2 04-15-2010 06:55 PM

Among my favorite books is Around the Block by Judy Hopkins. It has 200 rotary cut blocks in 6 sizes. It's a great starter book, if you could buy just one book that's a great one. Block Magic and Block Magic 2 by Nancy Srebro-Johnson are both terrific because they have a lot of kid friendly patterns with very simple instructions. And the best reference book is All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool. It has all the info you need like yardage requirements, cutting instructions, setting secrets, piecing techniques and so much more. I hope you'll give them all a try. You'll be happy with them. Of course, we all know now that you can always find anything you want on your computer. Quilters are always willing to share their info and their experience.