Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite sewing machine for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-sewing-machine-quilters-t137771.html)

Mad Mimm 10-21-2011 05:02 AM

I must preface by saying I have very little experience with sewing machines. That being said, I have a Viking Emerald 118, which is a really wonderful little workhorse of a machine (and the only machine I have). It has decent throat space, sews beautifully, and it is not particularly finicky. It manages a variety of threads and needles without giving me grief and generally runs like a top. I do an annual service on it, and as of yet, have had no other issues with it (knock on wood!). I understand the company was sold and the products are now made in China so I don't know about the newer models. This one is about 4 or 5 years old. For what it is worth my MIL, who is a die-hard quilter, swears by her Janome.

PS I use mine for both piecing and FMQ.

Mad Mimm 10-21-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
After reading this thread, I must say I am curious as to why anyone would have multiple machines. You all must be much richer than me; I'll say that much. Please take this in the spirit with which it is intended.

Have you seen the thread about how many machines everyone has? I only have one machine too. I joke that we "single machiners" are a small but very elite group on the board! :lol:

bvillequilter 10-21-2011 05:50 AM

Yes I do! It is almost like human bonding. I feel most comfortable sitting in front of a Bernina. I have owned Pfaff, Viking, Singer, Babylock, Brother and Elna. I always return to Bernina. I have to add though, I love Babylock/Brother for embroidery the most.

bvillequilter 10-21-2011 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by bvillequilter
Yes I do! It is almost like human bonding. I feel most comfortable sitting in front of a Bernina. I have owned Pfaff, Viking, Singer, Babylock, Brother and Elna. I always return to Bernina. I have to add though, I love Babylock/Brother for embroidery the most.

and also Janome.

bvillequilter 10-21-2011 05:53 AM

I have found 9 times out of ten that if the thread is jamming it is because the thread fell out of the main thread path.

bvillequilter 10-21-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
After reading this thread, I must say I am curious as to why anyone would have multiple machines. You all must be much richer than me; I'll say that much. Please take this in the spirit with which it is intended.

Have you seen the thread about how many machines everyone has? I only have one machine too. I joke that we "single machiners" are a small but very elite group on the board! :lol:

Purchasing and owning more than one machine is a lovely vice. I have never met a person that didn't have at least one vice. Some people like to buy and collect stamps, shoes - clothes - handbags, or cars, or nicknacks, or drink, smoke, gamble. I find many sewers and quilters, including myself, have such a passion for the hobby that extend it further by buying lots of fabric, patterns, notions and of course machines. You will also find that women/men who spend much of their disposible income on their hobby are thrifty with spending in other areas to compensate.

I am curious to learn if the single machine owners also fall into the group of those who only buy fabric with a particular project in mind and don't have a stash?

naturalstateknitter 10-21-2011 07:33 AM

I must not be considered a single machine owner or likely to ever fall into that group. I do acquire too much fabric. Have enough to make about 10-15 quilts. Buy it when it is on sale or just because it is pretty. I only have one machine, that one is for sewing, although, I have quilted on it a small bit. I am in the process of saving for my first quilting machine, but am not there, yet.
I do have multiple weaving looms, though. Have had to get rid of several to make room and money for my future quilting machine.

Skittl1321 10-21-2011 08:01 AM

I just got a Bernina 430 and am in love with it. I upgraded from my mass market machine for more throat space, and while it isn't huge, it is bigger than what I have. I paid 10x for this machine what I paid for the last one, and it is without a doubt 10x better- just so many features. I've gotten a twin size quilt completely under the harp, to do something on the far edge when I didn't want it to be directional (I don't quilt as well pulling as I do pushing), so if I did a queen from center out, I would be okay.

I really wanted the Janome Horizon 7700 for the larger harp, but it was $1000 more. Since the Bernina also came with embroidery, I really couldn't justify that extra $1000. (I originally had hoped to upgrade to about a $600-800 sewing machine, but ended up spending $2000 when I realized that my price point wasn't going to get me what I wanted at all, and I might as well stay with my $200 machine... definetly worth the money, but it is going to have to last me for the rest of my life!)

Wintersewer 10-29-2011 10:20 AM

I'm near Syracuse and so is Roberta.

Originally Posted by Bon-bon
Roberta, where are you in CNY? I, too, am from CNY