Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite threads for hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-threads-hand-quilting-t217166.html)

toolazy 03-24-2013 04:45 AM

Favorite threads for hand quilting?

What are your favorite threads (brand, type/finish, weight) for hand quilting?

I'm new to hand quilting and have been experimenting with the threads I have. Obviously a person would use different weights and finishes for different types of design, but I'm curious as to what you all use. Even the hand quilting glace cottons I have are quite different in feel and in finished look (Gutermann vs. Coats&Clark, for example).

chips88 03-24-2013 04:55 AM

i use aurifil 50 wt . for everything. from hand to sewing machine. i would like to use the other wt thread. but not familiar . if it is good for general sewing.i will be watching this thread to all answers. :)

Hinterland 03-24-2013 05:15 AM

I use YLI hand quilting thread. It's glazed so it doesn't fray quickly, and it doesn't knot and tangle as much as some others. My only complaint is that it doesn't come in some of the colors I'd like use.

Janet

olgaflowers 03-24-2013 05:21 AM

I have always used Coats & Clark, have no problems,

Traditional Quilter 03-24-2013 05:32 AM

I use YLI 40 wt for hand quilting. Have used it for years. It's easy to handle and doesn't tangle. 40 wt. thread is typically used for hand quilting. It's slightly thicker and stronger than 50 wt. Hand quilting differs from machine quilting in that you use the same thread wt. throughout. The reason hand quilting thread is glazed is to make it easier to slide through the fabric. In hand quilting the thread isn't the star of the quilt. That's why I prefer hand quilting -- all I see are those little dimples in the quilt, not the thread. You don't need to worry about different finishes in thread for hand quilting -- only worry about color and make sure it's labeled for hand quilting. If you want to see your stitches, use a contrasting thread. If you are like me and don't like to see your stitches stand out, use same color thread as fabric. If it's multicolor fabric (such as a print) find a color that blends. I personally do not like Gutterman or Coats and Clark brands threads. Presencia and Aurifil have 40 wt threads that I plan to try in my next project. I've used their 50 wt. threads for piecing and really like both brands. Presencia's web site recommends a 28 wt. thread for hand quilting. It sounds a little thick to me, but I'm going to order a spool and give it a try as well.

I might mention the Big Stitch technique. This is using Perle Cotton and making larger (1/4 inch) stitching. I did this on one quilt where I had sewn squares from charm packs together for a throw. I quilted in this style and liked the informal look. Having said this I've contradicted myself in saying I don't like to see the thread. I can't remember if I used #9 or #12 but you could try both and see which is easier to pull through the fabric. Presencia is showing on its website a #16. I may order a skein of this and give it a try.

I do some machine quilting (just straight lines) on those projects that I don't want to spend months finishing, and I usually do them in Sew Art invisible thread on top and Aurifil 60 wt. in bobbin so the thread won't detract from my piecing. But, overall, I prefer the look of hand quilting, and I like to do it.

Happy quilting!

Wyldwytch 03-24-2013 05:33 AM

Treasure by Superior.

Rosie

humbird 03-24-2013 05:33 AM

I use Coats&Clark hand quilting thread. It is waxed, strong, comes in a variety of colors, less expensive than some others, and is more available in my small town than others.

Gannyrosie 03-24-2013 05:39 AM

I have using Guitermann, but I want to try Perle to highlight some partial quilting. Since I'm a newbie also, I really haven't tried enough brands to say which one is my "fav"

Pat625 03-24-2013 06:38 AM

I have tried all the fancy name brand threads, and always end up back to the Americana thread that I get in Joannes for 99 cents!

Kat Sews 03-24-2013 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5950032)
I have tried all the fancy name brand threads, and always end up back to the Americana thread that I get in Joannes for 99 cents!

This is my choice also. A friend bought a very expensive thread for her quilt we were doing, even with thread conditioners it was a knotty pain.