Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fear of buying fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fear-buying-fabrics-t48691.html)

sharon b 06-07-2010 08:49 AM

I wish I could do that... but fabric seems to talk to me :oops: And when it talks I listen :roll: LOL

I buy the prints now, when I see something I like and figure that later I can match up solids and extra colors after I find a project :wink:

Jim's Gem 06-07-2010 08:52 AM

I can't relate. Fabric calls my name. I must buy regularly..... I must...... I must.......

I know what colors I like and so most of my stash will play very nicely together.

Katia 06-07-2010 09:54 AM

I wish I was more like you. I honestly do. I am not a hoarder when it comes to most things, but fabric is my passion. I usually have an intended purpose for what I buy, but buy way more then I need.

I think my problem is that I am a much better planner then I am a doer. (is that a real word?) I am good at buying and organizing the stuff, but sitting down and getting things actually made is harder for me. I am getting better and working at it. But it is a process.

amma 06-07-2010 11:12 AM

I am afraid of not being able to find a print that I have fallen in love with, at a later date, so I buy these as I find them :wink:
I enjoy pulling out one of my prints and then shopping for the rest of the fabrics to go with it.

I do like to buy blenders/tonals to keep in my stash, I will pick up as much as I can when I find good sales on them :D:D:D

quiltmom04 06-07-2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Does anyone else have this or am I just crazy??? I know so many of you have huge stashes, but I actually HATE buying fabrics unless they are for a very specific project. Not because I don’t want to, but because I am scared. The only thing I can think when buying is, what the heck will this go with? Why am I buying this? This will never match any of my other fabrics, so it’ll never get used. I actually freeze up and end up buying nothing, even when it's a GREAT sale. Whenever I look at fabric pictures people post, I love them so much, but then when I go to buy them, I start hyperventilating. I do have a stash of sorts that is big chunks of leftovers from previous projects and big chunks that I got from the leftovers bin at my LQS, but other than that I find it very difficult to buy fabric that has no current purpose!

Am I crazy?!?!?

Rachel

It's always good to have 'blenders', so a stash of them is always good to have! I get prints when I just LOVE them. And I generally buy more than the blenders I get. For example, I'll get a yard each of blenders, and enough of the prints I love to either do borders or a back - or both.

Lynn Luker 06-07-2010 11:32 AM

Rachel, I'm glad you posted this. I feel very much the same. I get so overwhelmed and afraid...I never know how much to buy, or if it will 'go'. Last week I found a fantastic quilt shop that was having a big sale. I was afraid I would freeze as usual. I pushed myself, and I decided to buy a kit (30% off)and found the backing on the sale table. ($4/yd instead of $9). I then found some fabrics that I think I can use together and the owner helped me decide how much to buy. Whew! Exciting! I really like your idea of getting color of the month blenders! Great plan! We can do this!

athenagwis 06-07-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
Rachel, I'm glad you posted this. I feel very much the same. I get so overwhelmed and afraid...I never know how much to buy, or if it will 'go'. Last week I found a fantastic quilt shop that was having a big sale. I was afraid I would freeze as usual. I pushed myself, and I decided to buy a kit (30% off)and found the backing on the sale table. ($4/yd instead of $9). I then found some fabrics that I think I can use together and the owner helped me decide how much to buy. Whew! Exciting! I really like your idea of getting color of the month blenders! Great plan! We can do this!

Yay! I’m not the only one. :) I am so bad at this!! I went to a big quilt shop recently and they even had some great sales, and I just couldn’t bring myself to buy even though I had the money. It’s so weird, I go in saying “That’s it! I am going to buy 2 yards of a fabric I like today.” Then when I get in there, all the fears come back and I leave with nadda. *sigh* Alright, I have decided. I am going to focus on one color a month purchasing blenders, I will buy ½ yard each because I make mostly scrappy quilts anyway. Maybe if I get comfortable with this and I see a stash building, I’ll get comfortable with buying other stuff too. Lynn – We should both do this and post at the end of the month our new “stash” fabrics!! :)

Cheers!
Rachel

IrishNY 06-07-2010 12:04 PM

Rachel,

It's not a bad thing. If you are happy buying it when you need for specific quilts, then do it and don't try to force yourself to be different. I really only have one vice - fabric and I thoroughly enjoy the collecting part of the hobby. But if you don't, that's great too.

We're all different and that's great!

Janetlmt 06-07-2010 12:08 PM

When I first started quilting..I was so afraid of fabric. I realize now that I was afraid of making a mistake. Now I don't give a hoot...If I like..guess what..it is mine.

CarrieAnne 06-07-2010 12:16 PM

LOL, I wish I was more like you too! Its dangerousfor me to go to a fabric shop, then I see way too much I want!