Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feather weight price different (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feather-weight-price-different-t211760.html)

pflum1 01-23-2013 06:52 AM

Feather weight price different

Can anyone tell me why prices are different on Feather weight? I know a lot has to do with the condition, but is the date that important. Or is it the scroll plate, how do I know which one is worth more than others?

Scissor Queen 01-23-2013 06:55 AM

A lot of it is due to the fact that they're used. People can ask whatever they want for them. That doesn't mean they'll get it of course, but they can ask. It's up to the buyer to decide if the price they're asking is too high or not.

PaperPrincess 01-23-2013 07:30 AM

Condition (original? restored?) Case? feet/accessories? and geographic location (whatever the local market will bear).
This is the perfect question to ask on the special vintage and antique machine thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/

BellaBoo 01-23-2013 07:43 AM

I've seen excellent hardly used ones sell for under $200 and some that sell for $650. Some are found for free. I wanted a white Featherweight to use and to pass on to my granddaughter but was hesitant to go the Ebay route without trying it first. I was given one for free.

Scissor Queen 01-23-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5807472)
I've seen excellent hardly used ones sell for under $200 and some that sell for $650. Some are found for free. I wanted a white Featherweight to use and to pass on to my granddaughter but was hesitant to go the Ebay route without trying it first. I was given one for free.

Ahhhhhhhh, Ebay. Ebay caused the prices to drop on whole categories of collectibles and antiques. Before Ebay a local antique store had a featherweight marked at $700. I don't know if she ever sold it at that price but I know that after Ebay started to get really big a featherweight in her store would be between $200 to maybe $250 at the most.

mighty 01-23-2013 08:23 AM

Just depends on who is selling it!

BellaBoo 01-23-2013 08:55 AM

Even the pros go to ebay for pricing for what the market will support. An item may be appraised for one amount but the selling price is usually a lot less then then the appraised value. I rarely go by the appraised value, it doesn't mean much except for insurance purposes.

Wintersewer 01-23-2013 09:55 AM

Don't forget that an "Appraisal" is just an opinion. Many local sellers (on Craigslist) note an appraisal of hundreds, or even thousands on old black straight stitch machines. They make the comment, "I know what it's worth so don't try to lowball me." Hahahahaha. WE all know that they do not sell for that much except in very very rare cases. These machines are listed for years, sometimes, and just do not sell, unless the seller gets smart and sells it for $10-$40.

I bought a very nice FW right down the road at a garage sale, dirty and badly needing service, for $20. I later sold it for $250, which was a bit low for it's condition. I might have gotten more, but I figured that I had made enough on it.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5807678)
Even the pros go to ebay for pricing for what the market will support. An item may be appraised for one amount but the selling price is usually a lot less then then the appraised value. I rarely go by the appraised value, it doesn't mean much except for insurance purposes.

gotta-sew 01-23-2013 10:23 AM

According to the repairman at the Singer service center in my area. The color of the machienes plays a roll. He said Singer made them in different colors (black, green, white) one color being made better than the other. I took his advice when I bought mine.

Wintersewer 01-23-2013 11:20 AM

I have heard that the black ones are made better, but the light colored ones bring more money....because they are more "rare". What did your OSMG tell you?

Originally Posted by gotta-sew (Post 5807857)
According to the repairman at the Singer service center in my area. The color of the machienes plays a roll. He said Singer made them in different colors (black, green, white) one color being made better than the other. I took his advice when I bought mine.