Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Featherweight 221 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/featherweight-221-a-t88954.html)

cab588 01-09-2011 09:46 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase a Featherweight 221 (1949) with the attachments. I do not know if it is a good idea since I now have a Janome quilting machine and an embrodiery machine. What are your opinions regarding the uses for a Featherweight machine?

Charlee 01-09-2011 09:53 AM

Would depend on how much they're asking for it, and how it works...wiring, etc.

If everything is good with it, they are an awesome little machine! You can't ask for a straighter stitcher, and the small size, light weight make it extremely portable.

Mine is a 1956, and I'd give up my Janome before I gave it up!

2 Doods 01-09-2011 09:59 AM

It is a great machine to take along to class or retreats. And it would be a backup machine if your other needs to have repairs. I love having more than one! They are sweet little things. Like Charlee said....depends on the price and condition.

AnnieF 01-09-2011 10:21 AM

I use my Featherweight for piecing all the time.

Greeter Eva 01-09-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by cab588
I have the opportunity to purchase a Featherweight 221 (1949) with the attachments. I do not know if it is a good idea since I now have a Janome quilting machine and an embrodiery machine. What are your opinions regarding the uses for a Featherweight machine?

I have 2 of them, & don't want to part with either one of them.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-09-2011 11:25 AM

Sounds to me like you NEED a FW !! It's so small and portable and absolutely divine!
But Charlee is correct- price and condition.
I love piecing on mine and can't wait to take it
to a class.
The board has told me to be sure to take the bobbin
case out if we need to leave the machine for a break,
lunch etc b/c they are rather expensive to replace.
Just an FYI that I appreciated. I never would have
thought of it.
Let us know if you get it!!

quiltsRfun 01-09-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Would depend on how much they're asking for it, and how it works...wiring, etc.

If everything is good with it, they are an awesome little machine! You can't ask for a straighter stitcher, and the small size, light weight make it extremely portable.

Mine is a 1956, and I'd give up my Janome before I gave it up!

Yup, if the price is right you should go for it. Mine is a 1952 and I love sewing with it. Plus you're owning a piece of history. And finally, they're just so darn cute!

CarrieAnne 01-09-2011 11:54 AM

They are SUPER cute, I would get it!

Maia B 01-09-2011 12:20 PM

I have 3! You can easily learn to service them yourself. The stitch quality is great, and there are new feet and accessories available for quilting. I can't imagine getting it and regretting it. On the contrary, one easily goes from "what's all the fuss about" to "I'll get one for fun" to DOZENS of them. Even my super cheap, er, frugal African husband (he once told me that a purse was too $$-I could buy a goat instead and have the meat and the leather and that we should buy a goat instead of a lawnmower-for the milk and trimming the grass) sees the value of the FW. I could let one go, but I have two sons so need two FWs to pass along, at least! To me, anything less than $300 in very good condition is a great deal, but saavy shoppers have done better. Good luck!

danece 01-09-2011 03:32 PM

I own several different machines,my FW is a prize, ask to test it out before you buy, bring along fabric and thread that you would use normally, I think mine is great I use it along with my Bernina almost daily :thumbup: