Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FEED DOG QUESTION (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feed-dog-question-t173.html)

Sibble 11-29-2006 07:39 PM

I almost feel embarrased to ask this question, but how do you drop the feed dog for stippling or machine quilting? I think I have heard if you can't (or don't know how) you can put a piece of masking tape over the feed dog. Any ideas for me? :D

Judy Gail 11-29-2006 08:11 PM

I think it depends on what kind of machine you have. You should be able to find it in your manual if you can drop the feed dogs and how. I have a Bernina and there is a square button you depress at the side of the machine; same side as the on/off button.

I too have read that a card over the feeds dogs works but have never tried it. I think I saw on Alex Anderson's Simple Quilts a lady that said she quilted with the feed dogs up.

Judy

aullori 11-29-2006 09:20 PM

I'd be embarrased to mention the machine I use however, the feed dog switch is actually right under the panel that the fabric runs across. I had to remove the compartment on the front... the same one to remove my bobbin... to find it.

as a note I'd be embarrased to mention the machine.. but no embarrased to show pics of my quilts. :)

BarbC 11-29-2006 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Judy Gail
I think I saw on Alex Anderson's Simple Quilts a lady that said she quilted with the feed dogs up.

I do that. The feed dogs on my machine don't stick up much at all... and I have found it easier to do straight line quilting with them in tact. Now I haven't really done much free motion, except to practice. With that I need to cover them. Barb C.

dianne 11-30-2006 03:50 AM

I have tried stippling with the feed dogs up and found it to be ok,not supposed to be the done thing I know but it was something I read on another quilting site one day and decided to give it a go.
Dianne :D

Jezebel George 11-30-2006 03:58 AM

Sibble, what model of sewing machine do you have?

Sibble 11-30-2006 10:08 AM

Thanks, everyone!
I'll try some of your suggestions and look more closely at my machine to see if I can find a button. I have a Singer, but it's one of the cheaper styles with no decorative stitching or "bells and whistles".

Thanks again.....

BarbC 11-30-2006 10:30 AM

[quote=Sibble] I have a Singer, but it's one of the cheaper styles with no decorative stitching or "bells and whistles".[quote]

Those basic machines work fine! I have a very basic Brother that has no bells and whistles and I have made many a quilt on it. This year I have pieced 11 tops and quilted 7 of them on my "cheap" machine and they turned out great!

Barb C.

JeanS 11-30-2006 12:30 PM

One thing you could try is to put your stitch size to 0. Then the feed dogs won't move at all when you are doing free motion quilting. I do that even when I lower my feed dogs - I think it saves wear and tear on the machine.

Boo 11-30-2006 12:54 PM

Excellent tip, Jeans! Why didn't I think of that? :lol: