Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A few questions about hand quilting and frames (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/few-questions-about-hand-quilting-frames-t48768.html)

tortoisethreads 06-07-2010 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I just joined and I'm hoping to get some input on my next project. Yes, it's a 30's reproduction quilt for my 5 yr old. I will be hand quilting it , but I don't want to just stitch straight lines. What would be a nice pattern? Also, I'm thinking of buying a frame. This quilt is a queen size. Any suggestions?

30's pinwheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80962[/ATTACH]

craftybear 06-07-2010 06:09 PM

wow, love your quilt, have fun

I go To The Sea To Breathe 06-07-2010 06:45 PM

Would you just draw the design on the quilt and then stitch it by hand?

dkabasketlady 06-07-2010 07:27 PM

My DGM made me a pinwheel quilt(late 1960's) and she hand quilted it. She quilted 1/4" inside of each HST and this really sets it off! Mine doesn't have sashing, but also do a design down the sashing strips.

roseOfsharon 06-07-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
My DGM made me a pinwheel quilt(late 1960's) and she hand quilted it. She quilted 1/4" inside of each HST and this really sets it off! Mine doesn't have sashing, but also do a design down the sashing strips.

This sounds like it would be perfect! And the quilt top is lovely!

Pineapple Princess 06-07-2010 08:41 PM

Nice work! I don't have any suggestions as to how to quilt it, but it'll be gorgeous however you do it! :)

Gramof6 06-07-2010 10:28 PM

In each Pinwheel, in the white areas you could quilt repeated 1/4 inch all the way around inside the white triangles. Inside the colored triangle only quilt 1/4 omch once. This will make the colored portion of the Pinwheel pop out more. On your sashing you could get a stencil and do a rope design or any wavy design. Something curvy. Just an idea.

tortoisethreads 06-08-2010 05:27 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

gollytwo 06-08-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
So I just joined and I'm hoping to get some input on my next project. Yes, it's a 30's reproduction quilt for my 5 yr old. I will be hand quilting it , but I don't want to just stitch straight lines. What would be a nice pattern? Also, I'm thinking of buying a frame. This quilt is a queen size. Any suggestions?

Lovely quilt.
I'm no good at quilting designs, sorry.
But, I can tell you my quilting frame experiences - I've had three; one I gave to a friend who liked it; the other 2 are sitting in my basement. I hated all of them. Now, when I hand quilt, regardless of the size, I use a large round or rectangular hoop.

feline fanatic 06-08-2010 08:25 AM

If it was me I would quilt 1/4" from seams but if you want to off set all the angles an all over baptist fan might look good on this. You don't say if your 5 year old is boy or girl. Do they have something favorite? Like teddy bears in each block or kittens?