Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Film on quilting shows- & traditional quilting v. art quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/film-quilting-shows-traditional-quilting-v-art-quilts-t150992.html)

SmickChick 09-06-2011 06:19 PM

I just came from a guild meeting. where we watched a film by
Jenalia Moreno, director of "Stitched, the Film".
Stitched is a fun-filled documentary following three quilters racing to complete their entries for the International Quilt Festival, ... Quilting legend Caryl Bryer Fallert , Hollis Chatelain ,and Randall Cook...
The film was very good and depicted the world of quilting very well. Her husband was allowed access to film the judging of the IQF Houston show. We saw just a sample.
She mentioned that she had to spend a lot of time marketing her film (selling dvds). During the Q&A after the film, one woman asked about the access to the judging. I bet that if the full version of the judges comments was included, she would sell a copy to EVERY entrant!

Also, her film showed the "rub" between the traditional and the art quilters. (I'm an art quilter, so I'm biased) but it seems that the traditional quilters, more that the art quilters, have their "threads in a wad" over the expanse of the quilting world today.
So what do you think: are art quilts really "fiber arts" and not quilts????

QuiltnNan 09-06-2011 06:29 PM

art quilts and traditional quilts both meet the dictionary definition of 'quilt'. just as there are many styles of building architecture, so are there many styles of quilting. variety is the spice of life :)

TanyaL 09-06-2011 06:50 PM

To me fiber arts could be a weaving,almost anything that would have fibers. In art classes in college you could do all sorts of things to hold fibers together so that they could hang in a artistic expression; you absolutely could NOT sew the fibers into a construction that the professors could recognize as being anything remotely resembling a quilt. The art world does not recognize any connection at all between fiber arts and quilting. A fiber art installation seldom has fabric, it would more often have yarn. The only connection I can think of between fiber art and art quilts is they neither one keep anyone warm, both being hung and displayed. That's really a slight connection.
Fiber arts is usually considered an art, quilting is a craft.

Granny Quilter 09-06-2011 07:23 PM

A quilt to be used on a bed can also be a work of art. I mean with a picture appliqued., or as in watercolor quilts, if made large enough.

scowlkat 09-06-2011 08:02 PM

There is room for both, I tend to lean toward art quilts because I have never liked following directions! LOL! Wish people could learn to appreciate them for the talent and workmanship just as I can the dedication it takes to make a more traditional pattern. A lot of the more traditional patterns are rather daunting to me!

auntpiggylpn 09-06-2011 08:16 PM

IMHO, I think that any art that uses fibers ie: threads, fabrics, etc should be considered Fiber Art and to me that includes art quilts and traditional quilts.

I appreciate the traditional quilts and the workmanship that goes into them. I love to see them and will ooh and ahh just as much as I do when I see what is deemed a "Quilt Art" I just prefer to work with different patterns than the traditional blocks. But I do love a log cabin quilt and a snowball quilt!

ghostrider 09-06-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
To me fiber arts could be a weaving,almost anything that would have fibers. In art classes in college you could do all sorts of things to hold fibers together so that they could hang in a artistic expression; you absolutely could NOT sew the fibers into a construction that the professors could recognize as being anything remotely resembling a quilt. The art world does not recognize any connection at all between fiber arts and quilting. A fiber art installation seldom has fabric, it would more often have yarn. The only connection I can think of between fiber art and art quilts is they neither one keep anyone warm, both being hung and displayed. That's really a slight connection.
Fiber arts is usually considered an art, quilting is a craft.

I believe much of what you say is outdated. The "art world" is rapidly changing it's attitude thanks to the hard work of many talented fiber and mixed-media artists and there is doubt in my mind as to how attuned to the real world of art college professors truly are, especially in a medium as fluid as fiber and textiles.

For most purposes, 'quilt' is defined as three layers, held together by stitching. The layers may or may not be fabric, the stitching may or may not be thread, for quilt/fiber/textile art purposes. A ham sandwich held together by a toothpick does not qualify, however. :lol:

Flying_V_Goddess 09-06-2011 09:15 PM

Honestly, whether it goes on a bed or the wall, a quilt is a work of art.

auntpiggylpn 09-06-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Honestly, whether it goes on a bed or the wall, a quilt is a work of art.

:thumbup:

k3n 09-07-2011 12:15 AM

It is also my experience that it is the trad quilters who demonstrate more prejudice toward art quilts than vice versa. A quilt isn't defined by it's use, ie that it should be made to go on a bed, but by it's construction as specified above - 3 layers etc. I now consider myself primariliy an art quilter but started with traditional - I think it is a very good way to develop the technical skills need, ie the craft, that must be evident in the art pieces. Some are happy to stay with the traditional and that's fine, others wish to develop the craft into art, that's also fine. I get very upset when I hear or read derogatory remarks about EITHER group. :?

PS - BTW it is the new, young, innovative art quilters who keep this craft alive by developing it and bringing it to a whole new audience. Sorry, soap box alert! :lol: