Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First Quilt Retreat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilt-retreat-t214200.html)

Silver Needle 02-18-2013 07:40 PM

First Quilt Retreat?

I'm going to be attending a quilt retreat for the first time and am wondering about what to take to work on. I need to spend time on the Jinny Beyer DA VINCI quilt for grandson's graduation. Would you take something that exacting? Or would it be better to take something simple like the strip quilt I hope to have done for the quilt show?

slstitcher 02-18-2013 07:54 PM

I take several things to a retreat so I can choose what to work on. Have fun.

Scissor Queen 02-18-2013 08:03 PM

I usually take at least 3 to 4 projects to work on. I'd rather take more than I can get done than not take enough and not have anything to do.

DonnaR 02-18-2013 08:37 PM

If you are going with friends it is better not to take something that requires alot of concentration. You will find yourself talking and laughing as much as sewing. Have a great time.

kathdavis 02-18-2013 08:57 PM

Bring several items and see where your mood takes you. I always do a lot of cutting at home, so I don't have to think about it at the retreat. Then, I just put all my projects in individual baggies.

LyndaOH 02-18-2013 09:25 PM

Like the others I usually bring several projects to work on. I'm going to a retreat next weekend (can't wait!) and I've been busy designing a paper pieced project. I didn't intend to bring it, but I'm too excited about it to leave it home.

I do try to do most of my cutting before I go. I will probably bring strips for a Scrappy Trip Around the World. There's a lot of mindless sewing involved in piecing those strip sets!

ludlowquiltandsew 02-18-2013 09:47 PM

I've never been on a quilt retreat so I love reading about what to take when I do eventually manage to go to one.

petthefabric 02-18-2013 11:35 PM

I love going to quilt retreats. I get a lot done, if I take the right projects for me. And the amount of space you'll have to yourself makes a lot of difference. I get easily distracted. So I take something I don't need to concentrate on. What I've found works best for me, is quilting the sandwich. I don't need a lot of supplies, so it's easy to pack. People have told me they like to watch me put a design together (I do art quilts with no planned direction). Occassionally, when I know the classroom specifics, I'll take an art project in very predefined fabrics. This requires a design board, small cutting board and Clover mini wand iron with pressing mat. Plenty of table space, a lot of supplies and plenty of classroom space. So this is a luxury.

I'd agree with keeping cutting at the retreat to a minimum. Cut it out at home.

And take several projects. Make a list and pack several days in advance so you have time to remember other things you want to bring. At every retreat, people have been willing to share if you forget something.

Take a task light, a cushion for your chair, power strip with plenty of cord. Dress in layers. If you're usually hot-a fan; if cold, sit to the center of the room and take a warm layer. Oh yes, wheels. No matter how close you can park, toting heavy supplies is tiresome.

At one retreat I had one side of a 4' table and even less space behind me. It was very hard to move. That got corrected the next retreat. The retreat had grown in popularity so quickly and the people setting up didn't know what to do with all of us. It's still one of my favorite retreats.

Take what makes you happy, talk with the organizer to see what they provide, and be flexible.

grammysharon 02-19-2013 09:34 AM

I agree! I try to have everything cut so I can get right to the fun!! The first year I went to a retreat I had to cut everything and I didn't get much sewing done. Too much talking and meeting new people! Looking @ everyone's projects is fun too!! You will have a great time and the time will fly!!!!

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5871642)
Bring several items and see where your mood takes you. I always do a lot of cutting at home, so I don't have to think about it at the retreat. Then, I just put all my projects in individual baggies.

quilttiger 02-19-2013 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5871642)

I am with kathdavis! I found that I would get get drowsy on one project after being on it a long time during a retreat. It helped to put it down for later and pick up a different project.