Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilts-t202392.html)

happyquiltmom 10-06-2012 03:30 AM

I've been hand quilting and FMQing my own quilts since I started in 1983. Well, the first quilt I made was tied. Unfortunately, I had used cotton batting. The first time the quilt was washed, the batting tore apart and migrated to the corners. Oops. I've come a long way since then! :)

JenelTX 10-06-2012 03:51 AM

I hand-quilted my first one, then machine-quilted after that, but I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted. I don't have anything against the people who do, but for me, I feel that the quilting is just as much of a design decision as the rest of it, and I wouldn't feel as much ownership over the finished product. I want to do it all, from start to finish.

Pat625 10-06-2012 04:23 AM

I have been quilting for years and have probably made over 150 quilts. Since being out of work the past year, I have been busy and have completed about 20 quilts in the year. I hand quilted every one but one. I honestly know I could get more done if I sent them out, but can't afford it, living on disabilty..At least I now have the time to hand quilt, and I really enjoy it too.
When you all refer to a domestic machine, exactly what are you talking about? Is this just a regular sewing machine? I do all my sewing on a Brother machine I bought at Walmart for $99. I can't see how anyone can quilt a decent size quilt on it, being that it has such a small throat!! I have machine quilted table runners, pot holders etc on this machine, but the item was small and easy to move around.

hikingquilter 10-06-2012 05:23 AM

I have always quilted my own, some by hand, some by machine. My first quilt, made in the 70's, was hand pieced and hand quilted. That's what I learned from my mother and aunts. Now I mostly piece and quilt by machine on my trusty little Singer. I've even quilted king sized ones by dividing the work into quadrants and working from the center out.

bigsister63 10-06-2012 05:44 AM

I quilt my own. I can not afford to send out. By quilting my own then I have money to BUY more fabric!

calicojoan 10-07-2012 03:25 AM

I so proudly quilted my own. Looking back they were pretty awful, but none the less I was proud! For me I machine quilt, cause I haven't got the patience to hand quilt. I want it done yesterday, once I am at that point! :D

Morag 10-07-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns (Post 5564407)
I have been reading through the post and noticed that even the beginning quilters are sending their quilts out to be quilted. When I made my first quilt I did not even know that was an option. I have always handquilted my own quilts. Those of you that have been quilting for a long time, did you quilt your own quilts at the beginning (either hand or machine) or did you send them out?

Quilted my own by hand or tied them.

Debbie C 10-07-2012 05:55 AM

I do all my own quilting, but some I still tie - I love the old-fashioned look that tying gives my quilts.

humbird 10-07-2012 06:11 AM

I hand quilt most of my quilts. I do tie occasionaly, and have done a couple on the machine......simple cross hatch. The only one I sent out was back in 1962, It was a hand pieced GFG and my grandmother quilted it for me. It was my very 1st quilt, and my grandmothers last. She passed soon after. That quilt is still special to me, and I still miss my grandmother.

Justamom410 10-07-2012 06:15 AM

I'm a newbie quilter and I've machine quilted my first 2 quilts that I've made. I want to learn to hand quilt...but haven't asked anyone in my newly joined guild yet if they would teach me. I'm working on project #3 right now and it's for my daughter...so I'd love to learn to hand quilt in order to finish it for her (she's 3)