Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilts-t202392.html)

appliquequiltdesigns 10-05-2012 01:35 PM

First Quilts

I have been reading through the post and noticed that even the beginning quilters are sending their quilts out to be quilted. When I made my first quilt I did not even know that was an option. I have always handquilted my own quilts. Those of you that have been quilting for a long time, did you quilt your own quilts at the beginning (either hand or machine) or did you send them out?

LivelyLady 10-05-2012 01:42 PM

I handquilted my quilts when I first started quilting in 1990. I still love to handquilt, but now I also enjoy FMQ on my domestic sewing machine. The money I save by quilting my own quilts goes to buying more fabric.:o

Peepers 10-05-2012 01:42 PM

I've always quilted my own by hand or machine.

barny 10-05-2012 01:45 PM

I sent my first one out and hand-quilted the next few ones. I love to hand-quilt, but it takes me so long.

Toni C 10-05-2012 01:56 PM

I had tops for the longest. Then machine quilted them

nygal 10-05-2012 01:59 PM

I hand stitched and hand quilted my first few quilts. When I made the first one I didn't even own a sewing machine then. I still hand quilt some.

Knitnoid 10-05-2012 02:04 PM

I quilted my own quilt -- but it was a school home ec project in 1980 or 1981. I've only been involved with 5 quilts that have been sent out to be quilted -- only one of them was my personal project. The other 4 were group projects. I'm working with a young lady now (she's 12) and originally planned to quilt her first top for her. I got a lot of push back from my husband and other quilters, so she's doing the quilting -- but she's not really enjoying it. I just hope it doesn't backfire. She'll finish the quilt this weekend and I'm going to put the binding on for her -- unless she says she wants to (which I doubt she will). When it's finished, she's giving the quilt to her cousin for her 1st birthday. Ooh -- reminds me I need to get the label made...

DebraK 10-05-2012 02:23 PM

I do all my own quilting.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-05-2012 02:25 PM

I have not sent one out yet. The first ones were quilted on a machine with a 4 inch throat. Just keep cramming! I've upgraded to a nine inch throat and do it all myself. Quilting is an expensive hobby and added a LAQ to every quilt is more than I care to spend. Maybe if I do a GREAT quilt one day I'll have it professionally done.

ckcowl 10-05-2012 02:30 PM

i quilted my own way back when- then didn't quilt for a number of years= when i started again the first large (king sized) quilt i made i sent out- and it cost me so much i figured i had better either learn to do that myself- or not ever make another one-so set out to learn to machine quilt, saved my pennies & purchased a long-arm...i do still on occassion quilt with the domestic machine too- small projects- up to twins & if i want to do intricate quilting i do it on my sewing machine. i am working on a queen sized whole cloth with my domestic machine. now i don't have to send them out- people send theirs out to me :)