Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First time I added borders to the front and back of a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-time-i-added-borders-front-back-quilt-t228223.html)

Grace creates 08-18-2013 10:12 AM

First time I added borders to the front and back of a quilt

Hi, I am in the process of quilting an appliqued and pieced quilt for my Granddaughter Sophia. I put border's on the front and back of the quilt.. I worked so hard measuring and making the front and back similar size, so I could quilt feathers in the border. Well I'm quuilting the feathers and to my disappointment the quilt borders no longer match up at all. The quilting obviously changed things around. What do I do now. Should I have just added the border's to the back later on after much quilting has been done and squared up the back then? This is the first time I have used border's on the back of the quilt and I am not happy with the results.

donnajean 08-18-2013 10:19 AM

I have put borders on the backing of most of my quilts. When I am pinning the sandwich together, I stick a strait pin thru each corner inside the border of the quilt top to make sure it matches up with the backing border to assure the backing border ends up the same all around. I pin baste with extra care that these points are secure.

Aria 08-18-2013 10:20 AM

I think what you did was a great idea. I've done similar things to the back... Tried to make the center of the quilt perfectly centered on the back... My backs are always pieced, and sometimes I have blocks that, if they matched up to the top, they look really cool with the quilting. Anyway..... I might suggest you pin along the borders and make sure they match up on both sides, like when you're matching points on blocks, then give yourself room to quilt within the borders. Don't quilt right up to the edges.

Prism99 08-18-2013 11:56 AM

How did you baste your quilt? That could make a difference.

Grace creates 08-18-2013 02:26 PM

I did what the suggestions were and I did not use extra pins, things changed around after quilting by the time I got around to quilting the borders. This is just an uneven mess.

Nammie to 7 08-18-2013 06:34 PM

Oh, I feel your pain!! Hope you can fix this to your satisfaction - just remember that most people never look at the back so maybe no one will every notice.

quiltingloulou 08-18-2013 11:49 PM

The only time I have done a border front and back, I quilted the border before attaching to the main quilt section. That way, by pattern was the same on both sides of the border. Mind you, that was only a lap top so may not be an option on something much bigger.

Reb 08-19-2013 12:44 AM

If you are wanting to know what you can do with your present project, if you post a pic or two, maybe there is a solution that the members could help you figure out.

orangeroom 08-19-2013 12:47 AM

The back should always be a bit bigger than the front. I've added borders to backs, as well as fronts. As long as the back is bigger, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck. Please don't be disappointed because you tried something new and it hasn't turned out exactly as planned. Try, try again! Good luck!

ArtsyOne 08-19-2013 02:52 AM

Oh, I feel bad for you! This has happened to me too.