Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First time online fabric purchase... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-time-online-fabric-purchase-t36164.html)

Beachbound 02-06-2010 10:22 AM

I am just wondering if I opened Pandora's box today. I just placed a rather large order with fabricdepot.com. They have batiks on sale today for $5.50 a yard. I can't touch that price at my LQS. I do miss actually touching & feeling the fabric but since the weather is so ugly today it may be worth it to stay home & shop online. Sure hope I won't be sorry!!!! :lol:

sunkistmi 02-06-2010 10:26 AM

Must be the time of year. I did the same thing, also with fabricdepot.com and some others. Now I just have to make sure I get the packages before DH gets home. They are going to have to get 'lost' in the stash for awhile. Hope we both won't be sorry! Have a good day shopping.
Wendy

Charlee 02-06-2010 10:33 AM

You won't be sorry Dody... Fabric Depot has the BEST customer service that I've seen....
I recently drove 3 hours to visit that store in Portland, thinking that I would buy my Dear Jane book and templates that they have as a set for $25. All they had in the store itself was the book and rulers separately...for a total of $41.98! I asked a clerk about it, and she told me that she couldn't do that. So I skipped buying them.
Got home, went online to order, and found out that I could have ordered online and done an instore pickup. I went balistic, altho I hope that I kept them from knowing that! ;) I did write and complain tho, and they sent me the set, no shipping charge! They also followed up with emails, asking if I could identify the clerk, at no danger to her job, just so they could clarify to her how it should have been done... I couldn't, didn't look at her name tag...so they were going to do a training meeting in the event that it ever happened again.

While I was there, I fondled MANY fabrics...you won't be disappointed in the batiks!! :)

Beachbound 02-06-2010 10:36 AM

Thanks, Charlee! That is really good to know! I am so glad that they were so good to you, a 3 hour drive is no small undertaking with the price of gas.

amma 02-06-2010 10:38 AM

I have ordered MANY batiks from Fabric Depot and I have never been disappointed :D:D:D I have been to their store as well. I think that you will be very happy when your order arrives!!!

littlehud 02-06-2010 12:16 PM

Online shopping can be so much fun. It's the best when you get those squishies or in my case boxes of fabric. Have fun.

lindy 02-06-2010 06:14 PM

I have shopped at Fabric Depot here in Oregon and the fabric has always been good.

nannya54 02-08-2010 12:10 PM

It's important to know what company does what. Once I ordered four different, but complimentary fabrics from Fabric.com. 3 arrived just as I had ordered and one stood out like a sore thumb! I called and we "researched" my order and she maid "Oh my!" She put in an order for the correct fabric at no shipping to me and told me to either use the wrong fabric for another project or ( and get this.. ) donate it to a church who makes quilts for missions. Awesome!

blahel 02-08-2010 02:39 PM

i am thinking about ordering online but am hesitant to put my credit card details out there! You hear of so many people who get hacked so someone please convince me it is safe to shop online!!
We have very limited quilt shops here and not much variety in fabric which is also very expensive.I have seen such gorgeous fabric and must have notions when looking online so i really need to shop online!!

lindy 02-08-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
i am thinking about ordering online but am hesitant to put my credit card details out there! You hear of so many people who get hacked so someone please convince me it is safe to shop online!!
We have very limited quilt shops here and not much variety in fabric which is also very expensive.I have seen such gorgeous fabric and must have notions when looking online so i really need to shop online!!

A lot of online stores have an option to phone your order in, rather than giving info on the net. Be sure to tell them you will give them the info each time you order if you don't want your card info in their system. Not all keep a record, but some do. Also some sell names of clients, but you can request they not sell yours. Happy shopping!